Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> on 2011/03/08 14:14:40 UTC

[DRAFT] GSoC announcement mail to pmcs@

Please comment.

Uli

*snip*

Subject: Google Summer of Code 2011 is almost there

Hello PMCs,

Google Summer of Code is the ideal opportunity for you to attract new contributors to your projects.

If you want to participate with your project you now need to

 - understand what it means to be a mentor [1]
 - propose your project ideas [1]
 - subscribe to code-awards@apache.org

You don't have to apply as a project yourselves, the Community Development project is preparing the
Apache Software Foundation's GSoC application. See [2] for more information.

Last year we had 39 students completing GSoC successfully, some of which are now active contributors
to the projects they worked on. Let's make this a success again this year!

On behalf of the GSoC 2011 admins,

Uli

[1] http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html
[2] http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html

Fwd: [DRAFT] v2 GSoC announcement mail to pmcs@

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
This is an updated one.

Google Summer of Code is the ideal opportunity for you to attract new
contributors to your projects.

If you want to participate with your project you now need to

 - understand what it means to be a mentor [1]
 - propose your project ideas. Just label your issues with gsoc2011 in JIRA and
  they will show up at [2]. See also [1].
 - subscribe to code-awards@apache.org (restricted to mentors, meant to be used
  as a private list - general discussions on the public
  dev@community.apache.org list as much as possible please)

The ASF has applied as a participating organization with GSoC, your project
doesn't need to do that. See [3] for more information. Note that the ASF isn't
accepted yet, you *really* should start recording your ideas now nevertheless.

[2] http://s.apache.org/gsoc2011tasks
[3] http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

than your best."

"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
- Steve Jobs

Re: [DRAFT] v2 GSoC announcement mail to pmcs@

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
2011/3/8 Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>

> On 3/8/2011 11:05 AM, Ulrich Stärk wrote:
>
>> Subject: Google Summer of Code 2011 is almost there
>>
>> Hello PMCs,
>>
>> Google Summer of Code is the ideal opportunity for you to attract new
>> contributors to your projects.
>>
>> If you want to participate with your project you now need to
>>
>>  - understand what it means to be a mentor [1]
>>  - propose your project ideas. Just label your issues with gsoc2011 in
>> JIRA and
>>    they will show up at [2]. See also [1].
>>  - subscribe to code-awards@apache.org (restricted to mentors, meant to
>> be used
>>    as a private list - general discussions on the public
>>    dev@community.apache.org list as much as possible please)
>>
>> The ASF has applied as a participating organization with GSoC, your
>> project
>> doesn't need to do that. See [3] for more information. Note that the ASF
>> isn't
>> accepted yet, you *really* should start recording your ideas now
>> nevertheless.
>>
>> Last year we had 39 students completing GSoC successfully, some of which
>> are
>> now active contributors to the projects they worked on. Let's make this a
>> success again this year!
>>
>> On behalf of the GSoC 2011 admins,
>>
>> Uli
>>
>> [1] http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html
>> [2] http://s.apache.org/gsoc2011tasks
>> [3] http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html
>>
>>  +1
>

> +1
Norman

Re: [DRAFT] v2 GSoC announcement mail to pmcs@

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Sent from my mobile device.

On 9 Mar 2011, at 09:06, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> wrote:
>> According to Tony of infra, pmcs@ also includes private@incubator as well as *-private@incubator.
>
> Ah ok,thanks for checking, I wasn't aware of that.
> -Bertrand

I believe Tony is mistaken. I've not seen it on private@ or -private lists.

(thanks for getting this out)

Ross

Re: [DRAFT] v2 GSoC announcement mail to pmcs@

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> wrote:
> Subject: Google Summer of Code 2011 is almost there

Looks good to me, thanks!

Re: [DRAFT] GSoC announcement mail to pmcs@

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Hi Uli,

thanks for starting this. I think I would also some sentence that explains
that projects "should/can"  start label issues/tasks for GSOC now but should
be aware that the ASF is not accepted yet.

Rest looks good.

Bye,
Norman

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
On 3/8/2011 11:57 AM, Kathey Marsden wrote:
> I think the following link should be generally available.
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-printable/temp/SearchRequest.html?jqlQuery=labels+%3D+gsoc2011&tempMax=1000

Yes this works

> We are up to four!

Antoine

Re: [DRAFT] GSoC announcement mail to pmcs@

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
On 3/8/2011 5:14 AM, Ulrich Stärk wrote:
> Please comment.
>
> Uli
>
> *snip*
>
> Subject: Google Summer of Code 2011 is almost there
>
> Hello PMCs,
>
> Google Summer of Code is the ideal opportunity for you to attract new contributors to your projects.
>
> If you want to participate with your project you now need to
>
>   - understand what it means to be a mentor [1]
>   - propose your project ideas [1]
I think it would be good  to have a link to  the filter for the ideas so
far in the email. I notice when I try to click on the available projects
on the student page I get.
"The selected filter is not available to you, perhaps it has been
deleted or had its permissions changed"

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> wrote:
>  - subscribe to code-awards@apache.org

I'd add

(restricted to mentors, meant to be used as a private list - general
discussions on the public dev@community.apache.org list as much as
possible please)

> You don't have to apply as a project yourselves...

I'd say "the ASF has applied as a participating organization with
GSoC, your project doesn't need to do that".

Thanks,
-Bertrand