Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2011/11/16 22:55:04 UTC

[POLL] Defining a stack of components for the next release of Bigtop

This is a poll of opinion for a future vote on what should be a Bill
Of Materials for
the next version of Bigtop distribution. I will call a formal vote in
a week. Please
note, since we're targeting a few future releases here, the backup plan for
any such component is to remain at the version it is currently at in
Bigtop 0.2.0:

Version updates [with probabilities for unreleased versions]
   * Zookeeper 3.4 [very high]
   * Hadoop (0.20.205.1 AKA 0.20.206.0 AKA 1.0 ;-)) [very high]
   * HBase 0.92 [very high]
   * Oozie 2.3.3 [unknown] (tucu, any idea on what's going on with 2.3 branch?)
   * Whirr 0.6.0 (unless there's any reason not to)
   * Mahout 0.6 [unknown]
   * Flume 0.9.4 (subject to Thrift packaging, see bellow)

New components
   * HCatalog 0.2.0
   * Thrift 0.7.0
   * Avro 1.6.1 (unless there's a reason to stick with a different version)
   * Hama  0.3.0  (unless there's a reason to stick with a different version)

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [POLL] Defining a stack of components for the next release of Bigtop

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Edward J. Yoon <ed...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hama[1] is currently under heavy development for product-level version
> 0.4. I'd like to plan to add hama-0.4 as a new component in the next
> release.

I'd love to have Hama in the next release, but I'm pretty booked with
all the stuff I need to get into it. If you're willing to submit patches
for packaging/testing -- we'd be delighted to have Hama.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.

1. http://incubator.apache.org/hama/

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon

Re: [POLL] Defining a stack of components for the next release of Bigtop

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
> This is a poll of opinion for a future vote on what should be a Bill
> Of Materials for
> the next version of Bigtop distribution. I will call a formal vote in
> a week. Please
> note, since we're targeting a few future releases here, the backup plan for
> any such component is to remain at the version it is currently at in
> Bigtop 0.2.0:
>
> Version updates [with probabilities for unreleased versions]
>    * Zookeeper 3.4 [very high]
>    * Hadoop (0.20.205.1 AKA 0.20.206.0 AKA 1.0 ;-)) [very high]
>    * HBase 0.92 [very high]
>    * Oozie 2.3.3 [unknown] (tucu, any idea on what's going on with 2.3 branch?)
>    * Whirr 0.6.0 (unless there's any reason not to)
>    * Mahout 0.6 [unknown]
>    * Flume 0.9.4 (subject to Thrift packaging, see bellow)
>
> New components
>    * HCatalog 0.2.0
>    * Thrift 0.7.0
>    * Avro 1.6.1 (unless there's a reason to stick with a different version)
>    * Hama  0.3.0  (unless there's a reason to stick with a different version)
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

Given that this is a contributor driven effort, I would rather not hold
onto a release because of some new components.

Provided these new versions do not introduce incompatibilities, I would
be all for them.

Re: [POLL] Defining a stack of components for the next release of Bigtop

Posted by Arvind Prabhakar <ar...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Arvind Prabhakar <ar...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi Roman,
>>
>> Thanks for sending this out. What is the target release date for the
>> next version?
>
> As you can see in a neighboring thread, we seem to be converging on the
> idea of a quarterly release schedule for Bigtop. Thus I'd expect the next
> version to be out sometime in early Feb 2012.

Thanks. So going with Feb 2012, it will require Sqoop release to be
available by end of Jan 2012 that can be integrated.

>> If there is some room to fix upstream projects, I would
>> like to work Sqoop 1.4 (tbr) into it.
>
> That's a good point. The way things are going, next release of Bigtop
> is likely to be based on Hadoop 20.X. Do you think you can help with
> making Sqoop work with that code line? That'll be a tremendous win
> for all of our users.

It is worth a shot and I will be willing to put some time into it. We
have the relevant upstream JIRAs in place so it is a matter of working
through the integration. If no major blockers appear we should be able
to pull it off.

Thanks,
Arvind

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Arvind Prabhakar <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Roman,

Thanks for sending this out. What is the target release date for the
next version? If there is some room to fix upstream projects, I would

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Seems reasonable, except that I have no idea what Hama is and why we need to
add it to the stack.

Cos

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
Oozie 3.1.2