Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Christian Schaffner <ch...@users.sourceforge.net> on 2003/11/19 17:30:55 UTC

Problems building package with supplied libtool in 0.33.1

Dear SVN Developers

I am doing the fink (<http://fink.sf.net>) package for svn on MacOS X.
With the latest 0.33.1 release we had some problems with libtool: 'make
check' was failing during the creation of the package when there was no
svn library already installed in the default location. 'make check'
should be directed to the libraries that were just built in the package
creation area.

We (myself with the help of Peter O'Gorman who is a libtool developer)
managed to fix it by introducing this line after configure in the
compile script:

  ./configure %c
  perl -pi -e 's/^fast_install=yes/fast_install=needless/g' libtool
  make
  make check

Peter O'Gorman was suggesting that maybe a patched libtool was used
during the creation of the 0.33.1 tarball. Version 0.33.0 didn't have
these problems. What do you think?

Thanks for your help,
Chris.

PS: I am often on #fink and #svn as chris01

Re: Problems building package with supplied libtool in 0.33.1

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.
On Monday 24 November 2003 13.22, Sander Striker wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 19:40, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> > On Saturday 22 November 2003 19.34, Sander Striker wrote:
> > > Currently, libtool 1.4.3 is the version to use.  I can report that
> > > newer and older versions of libtool have both rendered complaints
> > > with httpd releases.
> >
> > Just so I know what to do (I'm not attacking anyone):
> > Wich is "wrong", libtool or httpd?
>
> Well, we put the blame on libtool...
>
> > If I _must_ make the Subversion tarball with libtool 1.4.3,
>
> That seems like the best way to go.  Any other version keeps getting
> us more failure reports.  Hopefully things will improve with post 1.5
> versions.
>
> >  then I will
> > do that in a chrooted environment (Setting up LFS in a partition and
> > run it from there) or a main distro in a VMware machine.
>
> Why all this trouble?  Just put libtool 1.4.3 in your PATH when doing
> releases (install it in your home dir).

Oh, ut's that easy...

J.

--
Jostein Chr. Andersen <jo...@josander.net>
http://www.josander.net/

Re: Problems building package with supplied libtool in 0.33.1

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 19:40, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> On Saturday 22 November 2003 19.34, Sander Striker wrote:
> > Currently, libtool 1.4.3 is the version to use.  I can report that
> > newer and older versions of libtool have both rendered complaints
> > with httpd releases.
>
> Just so I know what to do (I'm not attacking anyone):
> Wich is "wrong", libtool or httpd?

Well, we put the blame on libtool...

> If I _must_ make the Subversion tarball with libtool 1.4.3,

That seems like the best way to go.  Any other version keeps getting us
more failure reports.  Hopefully things will improve with post 1.5
versions.

>  then I will
> do that in a chrooted environment (Setting up LFS in a partition and run
> it from there) or a main distro in a VMware machine.

Why all this trouble?  Just put libtool 1.4.3 in your PATH when doing
releases (install it in your home dir).

Sander

Re: Problems building package with supplied libtool in 0.33.1

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.
On Saturday 22 November 2003 19.34, Sander Striker wrote:
> Currently, libtool 1.4.3 is the version to use.  I can report that
> newer and older versions of libtool have both rendered complaints
> with httpd releases.

Just so I know what to do (I'm not attacking anyone):
Wich is "wrong", libtool or httpd?

If I _must_ make the Subversion tarball with libtool 1.4.3, then I will
do that in a chrooted environment (Setting up LFS in a partition and run
it from there) or a main distro in a VMware machine.

Jostein

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.
On Wednesday 19 November 2003 18.30, Christian Schaffner wrote:

I think this is a developer case, so I'm cc'ing this to
dev@subversion.tigris.org

> Peter O'Gorman was suggesting that maybe a patched libtool was used
> during the creation of the 0.33.1 tarball. Version 0.33.0 didn't have
> these problems. What do you think?

Well, I don't have the solution. I use Linux From Scratch (LFS) wich use
very basic packages and few patches. My libtool is not patched.

This is (what I think is) my related tools (maybe someone else have a
clue):

  automake 1.7, make 3.80, autoconf 2.57, libtool 1.5

I will provide more info if needed.

Jostein

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.