Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2012/06/26 18:36:55 UTC

Distinguishing Adobe from Apache SDKs?

Hi,

I just checked out the latest 4.8.0 and managed to build it without any problems (100 points for that guys ... It's not actually something I'm used to ;-) )

After that I wanted to test Flexmojos with that SDK ... for that to work, I sent the SDK through my Mavenizer Tool that deploys any given SDK to my Maven local Repo. This worked great too :)

The only thing I noticed, was that my Maven artifacts were all called "com.adobe.flex:framework:4.8.0" ... well I guess this should be something more Apache. The problem is that I haven't found something on which I can actually reliably distinguish an Adobe from an Apache SDK. Ok ... I know I could have a look at some of the text files, but I think that's relatively ugly. So is there any Apache-Indicator that I can reliably use?

And ... what groupId should I use? I will have to make Flexmojos accept that, because it does have some built in checks that I need to adjust for it to accept any other groupId. So if you would tell me which one ... I won't have to adjust that in the near future :)

I'm really looking forward to first tests with the 4.8.0.

Chris

[ C h r i s t o f e r  D u t z ]

C-Ware IT-Service
Inhaber
Dipl. Inf. Christofer Dutz
Karlstraße. 104, 64285 Darmstadt

[cid:image001.gif@01CD53CA.A932F280]<http://www.benchpark.com/788335/kundenzufriedenheit.htm>
   IT- und Systemhäuser<http://www.benchpark.com/it_und_systemhaeuser.htm>

fon:  0 61 51 / 27315 - 61
fax:  0 61 51 / 27315 - 64
mobil:  0171 / 7 444 2 33
email:  christofer.dutz@c-ware.de<ma...@c-ware.de>
http://www.c-ware.de<http://www.c-ware.de/>

UStId-Nr. DE195700962

RE: AW: AW: AW: Distinguishing Adobe from Apache SDKs?

Posted by Frank Morawietz <Mo...@mhh-solartechnik.de>.
Hi Alex,

Since you asked for opinions: we are using maven and flexmojos to build our sources, a 'completely'  mavenized build including playerglobal and airglobal swcs and would help a lot.

All the best

-- frank

Btw, thanks to Christofer for all the work!

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Well I was simply assuming that IF Adobe would say: "Nah ... We don't want to work ourselves into deploying stuff at Maven Central, but if you want you guys at Apache could do that for us, if you want." Then it would be really stupid for Apache to say: "It's not the Apache way to deploy third party stuff", because the benefits for Apache flex would be great. I have to admit that I don't know how do actually deploy stuff there, but I think it's manageable. Velo (Flexmojos Head) seems to have managed to deploy the playerglobals there for quite some time (Even if I would vote for a different groupId: "com.adobe.flash:playerglobal:{player-version} instead of "com.adobe.flex.framework:playerglobal:{flex-sdk-version}-{player-version}).

Chris

On Jun 27, 2012, at 10:21 AM, Alex Harui wrote:

> On 6/27/12 10:00 AM, "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de"
> <ch...@c-ware.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think you got me wrong on the company repo thing.
>> The repo is not public. It's just for usage inside the company. So I
>> don't think this should be a problem.
>> It's just something everybody will have to do over and over again.
> I will check, but I think that even internal company re-deployment
> requires an agreement from Adobe.
>
> What I'm more curious to hear from others on the list is whether this
> is going to be a hurdle for adoption.  If having Adobe publish
> Maven-friendly stuff is going to make it tons easier, then I will push to make it happen.
>>
>> And I was suggesting to volunteer to publish the artifacts for Apache
>> ... so if they have something new Apache could offer their services
>> to do it for them, if they want this to happen.
> Did you mean "Apache" in the first sentence?  I was expecting that
> part of Apache Flex's release process would eventually include
> deploying Maven-friendly stuff.

Lots of Apache projects deploy releases to Maven. One example is Apache POI. Those scripts are in svn and the build, but are purposefully undocumented on the site.

I don't think that Apache will publish third party artifacts into Maven for others. Others will need to do that and then the project can consume those. POI does handle dependencies with maven downloads within its build.xml.

    <!-- the repository to download jars from -->
    <property name="repository.m2" value="http://repo1.maven.org"/>

    <property name="ooxml.xmlbeans.jar" location="${ooxml.lib}/xmlbeans-2.3.0.jar"/>
    <property name="ooxml.xmlbeans.url"
              value="${repository.m2}/maven2/org/apache/xmlbeans/xmlbeans/2.3.0/xmlbeans-2.3.0.jar"/>
    <property name="ooxml.jsr173.jar" location="${ooxml.lib}/stax-api-1.0.1.jar"/>
    <property name="ooxml.jsr173.url" value="${repository.m2}/maven2/stax/stax-api/1.0.1/stax-api-1.0.1.jar"/>

        <antcall target="downloadfile">
            <param name="sourcefile" value="${ooxml.xmlbeans.url}"/>
            <param name="destfile" value="${ooxml.xmlbeans.jar}"/>
        </antcall>
        <antcall target="downloadfile">
            <param name="sourcefile" value="${ooxml.jsr173.url}"/>
            <param name="destfile" value="${ooxml.jsr173.jar}"/>
        </antcall>

This is an FYI - I'm not sure if this fits the current build and wouldn't want to delay any release if it doesn't. But if someone is playing with Maven...

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi,

I think you got me wrong on the company repo thing.
The repo is not public. It's just for usage inside the company. So I don't think this should be a problem.
It's just something everybody will have to do over and over again.

And I was suggesting to volunteer to publish the artifacts for Apache ... so if they have something new
Apache could offer their services to do it for them, if they want this to happen.

Regarding my deployment algorithm:
I look at the  lib directory of the SDK. Take every jar in it and deploy it (I acutally create a checksum from the jar and ask maven central if such an artifact has allready been deployed. If yes, it uses that dependency instead).
After all jars are deployed I create one master pom, that references all of these jars. Not much more magic to that. Deploying the Flex Framework is much more tricky. I will gladly publish the code of my deployer as soon as I'm sattisfied with it. Currently I still need to finish deploying of the air runntimes and then some quite intense testing.

Chris

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi,

well the work Adobe would need seems to be minimal. We would at least need them to deploy their playerglobal and airglobal swcs to maven central. I think Apache could volunteer to do that for them :-) I doubt uploading Binaries of the FlashPlayer and Air runntime for the multiple different operating systems is something that has to be done. I'm currently absolutely fine with deploying them in my compaines local repo.

My SDK generator currently provides this Structure for the Adobe resources:

/com/adobe

/com/adobe/air
/com/adobe/air/airglobal
/com/adobe/air/airglobal/{air-version}
/com/adobe/air/airglobal/{air-version}/airglobal-{air-version}.swc
/com/adobe/air/airglobal/{air-version}/airglobal-{air-version}.pom
/com/adobe/air/runtime/{air-version}
/com/adobe/air/runtime/{air-version}/runtimte-{air-version}.pom
/com/adobe/air/runtime/{air-version}/runtimte-{air-version}-linux.uexe
/com/adobe/air/runtime/{air-version}/runtimte-{air-version}-mac.zip
 /com/adobe/air/runtime/{air-version}/runtimte-{air-version}-win.exe

/com/adobe/flash
/com/adobe/flash/playerglobal
/com/adobe/flash/playerglobal/{flashplayer-version}
/com/adobe/flash/playerglobal/{flashplayer-version}/playerglobal-{flashplayer-version}.swc
/com/adobe/flash/playerglobal/{flashplayer-version}/playerglobal-{flashplayer-version}.pom
/com/adobe/flash/playerglobal/{flashplayer-version}
/com/adobe/flash/playerglobal/{flashplayer-version}/runtimte-{flashplayer-version}.pom
/com/adobe/flash/playerglobal/{flashplayer-version}/runtimte-{flashplayer-version}-linux.uexe
/com/adobe/flash/playerglobal/{flashplayer-version}/runtimte-{flashplayer-version}-mac.zip
 /com/adobe/flash/playerglobal/{flashplayer-version}/runtimte-{flashplayer-version}-win.exe

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi,

I think the problems are a little more complex than you think. Mostly legal issues.
My SDK Generator curreently deploys all the good stuff it finds in the SDK:
- The actual compiler and utilities
- The actual Flex framework
- The Runntimes

The runntimes is where I think it starts getting problematic, as I think we would not be allowed to deploy the playerglobal versions and the flash/air runntimes in a Maven repo.
Thats why I'm currently building a Tool that you could download and manually deploy locally any SDK that you want to use. I guess there should be no legal issues with that.
If however the Apache guys here find it usefull, I think deploying compiler & framework on maven central would be really nice. In that case the automatic download of runntimes,
that I'm currently working on will not work (But at the moment this doesn't work anyway).

Chris

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: AW: Distinguishing Adobe from Apache SDKs?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 6/26/12 12 :36PM, "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de<ma...@c-ware.de>" <ch...@c-ware.de>> wrote:

Hi,

I just checked out the latest 4.8.0 and managed to build it without any problems (100 points for that guys … It’s not actually something I’m used to ;-) )

After that I wanted to test Flexmojos with that SDK … for that to work, I sent the SDK through my Mavenizer Tool that deploys any given SDK to my Maven local Repo. This worked great too ☺

The only thing I noticed, was that my Maven artifacts were all called „com.adobe.flex:framework:4.8.0“ … well I guess this should be something more Apache. The problem is that I haven’t found something on which I can actually reliably distinguish an Adobe from an Apache SDK. Ok … I know I could have a look at some of the text files, but I think that’s relatively ugly. So is there any Apache-Indicator that I can reliably use?

We did not change any packages  names except in the batik and velocity jars.  The most reliable indicator is flex-sdk-description.xml in the root.

for example:

<flex-sdk-description>
<name>Apache Flex 4.8.0</name>
<version>4.8.0</version>