Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Matthijs Wensveen <ma...@phil.uu.nl> on 2005/04/21 11:18:42 UTC

gpl software with commons components?

Hi everyone,
Maybe this question has been asked a thousand times already, in that
case I am sorry.
I have made a piece of software that I want to place on sourceforge. It
is a library that makes use of lucene and a lot of other jakarta commons
components. Those jars are licenced under the apache licence (2.0). Does
the AL being incompatible with the GPL make it impossible for me to
licence my library under the GPL? I find the whole this-links-with-that
clauses in the GPL very vague.
I can probably licence my software under another GPL incompatible
licence, like AL, right?

Any advice on this?
Thanks,
Matthijs

Re: gpl software with commons components?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 09:18 +0200, Mattias J wrote:
> There is a whole bunch of other Open Source license alternatives:
> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/
> One very non-restrictive is the zlib/libpng License
> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/zlib-license.php
>
> Though I have no idea how they relate to ASL. (What clauses makes ASL and
> GPL possibly "incompatible"?)

IANAL

IIRC some people believe that the GPL implies an implicit patent grant.
ASL 2.0 contains a patent related clause. the free software foundation
believes that the different treatments of patents renders ASL2.0
incompatible with the GPL.

take a google or try slashdot if you want to hear the various
arguments.

- robert

Re: gpl software with commons components?

Posted by Mattias J <mj...@expertsystem.se>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
Matthijs Wensveen wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Maybe this question has been asked a thousand times already, in that
> case I am sorry.
> I have made a piece of software that I want to place on sourceforge. It
> is a library that makes use of lucene and a lot of other jakarta commons
> components. Those jars are licenced under the apache licence (2.0). Does
> the AL being incompatible with the GPL make it impossible for me to
> licence my library under the GPL?

AFAIK this (release under GPL but using
AL components) should be ok - legally.

But not the other way round. (using
GPL components and then release under AL)

> I can probably licence my software under another GPL incompatible
> licence, like AL, right?

Well, it's up to you want you want.

Hard to give an advice without starting
to get philosophic... ;)