Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Amandeep Khurana <am...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/22 21:51:11 UTC

count from shell failed

I had given a count command for a table from the shell. It counted for a
while after which it failed with the following error:

Current count: 2078000, row: 605428239

NativeException: java.lang.NullPointerException: null
    from java.lang.String:-1:in `<init>'
    from org/apache/hadoop/hbase/util/Bytes.java:92:in `toString'
    from org/apache/hadoop/hbase/client/RetriesExhaustedException.java:50:in
`getMessage'

What could be going wrong?

Amandeep

Amandeep Khurana
Computer Science Graduate Student
University of California, Santa Cruz

Re: count from shell failed

Posted by Amandeep Khurana <am...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I'll do this.

No, I havent tried the hadoop 0.19.1 yet. However, I tried to pull data from
an Oracle database directly into Hbase rather than having it go into a
flatfile before that. I was able to go upto 4M rows before one of the nodes
crashed.

I plan to get the 0.19.1 release and work on in the next couple of days.

Re: count from shell failed

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Enable DEBUG in your log4j.  Doing this, shell emits the names of regions as
it loads them.  Before you hit the NPE, you'll see the name of the
problematic region.  Take the name found and then using the UI figure which
host is supposedly carrying it.  Grep its logs for the problematic region to