Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by James G Smith <JG...@TAMU.Edu> on 2004/02/24 21:07:16 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Gestinanna (Application Framework) 0.01

After many months of working through design and code issues, I have
finally uploaded to CPAN a very alpha version of a new application
framework.

This framework consists of the following modules and their dependencies:

  Apache::Gestinanna 0.02
  Gestinanna 0.01
  Gestinanna::POF 0.06
  Gestinanna::POF::Repository 0.03

These should be making their way to the various CPAN repositories.

Very limited documentation is provided with each--my focus has been
on the code, not the documentation.  The Apache::Gestinanna pod has
code for the httpd.conf and resource configuration and the package
provides the stylesheets/ (xslt and css).  The Gestinanna package has
examples/ to show how to write applications and an INSTALL file to
help direct the installation.

The goal of this framework is to allow the splitting of look and feel
from backend coding while allowing as much reuse of components as
possible while maintaining as secure a system as possible with as
open a system as possible -- basically, a lot of constraints that I
couldn't fit with existing CPAN modules (at least, not comfortably)
when I started on this project (web-based editing with revision
control and secured execution of code, no explicit perl, etc).

As I mentioned, this is *very alpha* code and is known to have bugs.
The broad foundation is done, but it is not user-friendly yet and
definitely should not be used in a production environment as it
currently stands.

The framework introduces a new language I call eXtensible State
Machines which provide the controller.  It uses Template Toolkit to
provide the dynamic views based on the state of the controller and
the data provided by the controller.  The controller manages the
state based on the data coming from the browser and provides data
validation.  The controller uses taglibs to interface with the
backend data model.

AxKit is used to tie everything together and provide the output
transformation.

Feel free to play with it, browse the code, provide feedback.  You
are welcome to e-mail me privately or on this list.
--
James Smith <JG...@TAMU.Edu>, 979-862-3725
Senior Software Applications Developer,