Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by "Keith R. Bennett" <kb...@bbsinc.biz> on 2007/09/08 00:19:03 UTC

I Would Like to Participate in Tika Development

Dear Friends,

My project is in serious need of the functionality that Tika was
created to provide.  Although Tika is incomplete, it looks to be an
excellent start for what we need.  I intend to use it as a starting
point for my development.

I would love to contribute the fruits of my efforts to your project,
if (as I hope and expect) you find them useful.  And, of course, I
value highly your expertise, which would be greatly helpful to myself
and the project on which I work.

If you are open to my participation, please let me know how to
proceed.  I have been programming for over 25 years, but my
participation in open source software is limited to my starting a
functional but small, unknown, and underdeveloped project on
SourceForge called yadameter (at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/yadameter/).

One of the things I would like to do is to add Javadoc (for those
things I am confident that I understand).

Also, is there anything you can tell me about which parts are
functional and which are not?

Regards,
Keith Bennett

Re: I Would Like to Participate in Tika Development

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Keith,

 Thanks for your messages. All patches should be associated with a JIRA
issue, that way it's easier for the developers to track them and test/commit
them.

 Thanks for your interest in the project. As for the stuff that IntelliJ
found, try to separate the issues into step-by-step patches, based on need.
If you think that you can fit all the updates that IntelliJ suggest into one
patch, by all means, try, but understand that the developers need to review
the patch, and if it's a 3000 line patch that touches all parts of the code,
it's going to be contributed slower than something that's 100 lines and
touches a few files.

 On the other hand, you could try and separate your patches into categories
(e.g., one that fixes all the OutOfMemory issues, or one that fixes all the
NPEs), and that would probably ensure that they get reviewed faster.

 As for discussion, it's best to discuss all code related issues on
tika-dev. So, please feel free -- that's what it's there for.

Cheers,
  Chris

On 9/10/07 8:51 AM, "kbennett" <kb...@bbsinc.biz> wrote:

> Bertrand -
>
> Thank you for the response, and sorry for my duplicate send.
>
> So, do all patches need to be associated with a JIRA issue?  I've found a
> couple of little things (well, actually, Intellij Idea found them) --
> redundant assignments, null pointer vulnerabilities, etc.  Would I make a
> general JIRA issue for this and use it on an ongoing basis?
>
> And may I post questions to the list for faster responses, or would you
> prefer that I address questions directly to the author?
>
> - Keith
>

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>>
>> Hi Keith,
>>
>> Good patches are always appreciated!
>>
>> We don't have written guidelines for contribution yet, but basically
>> contributions are accepted as patches against the current SVN code,
>> attached to JIRA issues.
>>
>> See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-7 for an example of a
>> patch (although it's a much larger patch than what people would
>> usually contribute).
>>
>> The code is at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tika/trunk -
>> for now I'm afraid you'll have to play with it to figure out what's
>> working or not. And keep in mind that we still haven't figured out
>> exactly which interfaces we'll use, Jukka recently made some proposals
>> that we seem to agree on, but I don't think they've been translated in
>> code yet.
>>
>> Hope this helps, and feel free to ask further questions here.
>> -Bertrand

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chris.Mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov
Key Staff Member
Modeling and Data Management Systems Section (387)
Data Management Systems and Technologies Group

Office: 171-266B                        Mailstop:  171-246

Re: I Would Like to Participate in Tika Development

Posted by kbennett <kb...@bbsinc.biz>.
Bertrand -

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Keith,