Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Angelo Chen <an...@yahoo.com.hk> on 2008/04/09 13:03:52 UTC

T5: beta?

Hi,

any news about coming beta?

Angelo

Re: T5: beta?

Posted by Rob Smeets <rb...@gmail.com>.
But there is an unofficial announcement at http://tapestryjava.blogspot.com/
.
I'm impatiently waiting for an official announcement at theserverside.com,
at least if Howard dares.

Rob

Re: T5: beta?

Posted by Joshua Jackson <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 4/10/08, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I fully intend to do a full sweep of any low-hanging fruit (i.e., easy
> bugs with code and tests that won't destabilize things).
>
> I've been travelling and working on a client project, which has slowed
> things a bit.
>
> I had a very nice Tapestry 5 session at the Danvers NFJS.  I think I
> may need to rename the session from "Introduction to Tapestr 5" to
> "Tapestry 5: Shock and Awe". :-)

Unbelievable Howard,

For this kind of quality you still call it Beta. Even from the early
release it has been stable. :-D I can't imagine how good it is when it
reach GA. You deserve all the praise. Great job :) I can't thank you
enough

Cheers,

--
Let's show the world what we've got.

Blog: http://joshuajava.wordpress.com/

Re: T5: beta?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Fernando Padilla <fe...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Whenever there is talk of cutting a new release I wonder about my small bugs
> sitting out there :)
>
>  I filed a bug to add more getters/setters to the Element class (or Node
> class).  Did you see that?  It should be a really easy fix, and allow more
> powerful Mixins and MarkupRenderFilters. :)
>

>  Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
>
> > We're still not making a big deal; the transition from alpha to beta
> > affects us more than the rest of the world.  I think we'll probably
> > start seeing a new branch for 5.0 work and a switch-over of trunk to
> > 5.1 pretty soon.
> >
> > In the meantime, I'm using 5.0.12 for a client project and finding a
> > fair amount of rough edges and minor bugs.  I'd just as soon take care
> > of those in parallel with the client project since the end result is a
> > far more useable and finished 5.0 final.
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 9:05 AM, Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Or get a bigger monitor :o)
> > >

> > >  Francois Armand wrote:
> > >  > Hugo Palma wrote:
> > >  >> You mean other than
> > >  >> http://tapestry.apache.org/news.html#Tapestry%205.0.11%20is%20beta
> and
> > >  >> the fact that Tapestry 5 in the home page now shows up as "Tapestry
> 5
> > >  >> (beta)" ?
> > >  >>
> > >  > Oups :) Perhaps should I change my glasses :)
> > >  >

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: T5: beta?

Posted by Fernando Padilla <fe...@alum.mit.edu>.

RE: T5: beta?

Posted by Jonathan Barker <jo...@gmail.com>.
Rob,

We're making headway.

So, you acknowledge that Tapestry is a good framework.  Your major complaint
is the lack of backward compatibility between major releases.  I don't think
anyone in the community will disagree that this is an annoyance, so it comes
down to whether or not it is acceptable for each user.

Six years ago I built an application for a client using plain servlets,
JSP's, entity and stateful session EJB's, RMI, and other fun stuff.  It
served my client well in spite of some "sharp edges".  Last year, they
wanted to re-invest and I scrapped the whole UI and redid it with Tapestry,
and replaced the entity EJB's with Hibernate.  It was the most
cost-effective way of moving forward even though I threw out 75% of the
code. This year, I moved from T4->T5 as they continue to re-invest, and it
makes more money for them.

Should I have stayed with the old technology?  Not a chance.  But it's only
been six years! (at the time, it was only 4.5 years)

You state that there are better frameworks. I'm sure that there are for some
kinds of problems, and that is where users must evaluate their options.  As
a blanket statement it cannot be accurate.

So now comes the big question:

Given that you point out the obvious with regard to backward compatibility,
you have no intention of using Tapestry for serious work, you do not give
assistance to users, nor do you request assistance from other users, why do
you post to this list?

I evaluated Struts at one point, and I have a book on shelf about Struts.  I
can't imagine hanging out on their user list saying, "Get out of the stone
age, use Tapestry instead!"  That's how I feel about Struts, but I trust
that each Struts user is there because THE LIST suits their needs.

Seriously Rob, what is your motivation?

Jonathan

Re: T5: beta?

Posted by Davor Hrg <hr...@gmail.com>.
Would you give up already,
you are not a tapestry user,
tapestry 5 is very well documented, has a great mailing list,
has exhaustive unit tests...

If I don't like some framework, I don't use it and that's it.
Please have some respect to tapestry users and go away already.

Davor Hrg

Re: T5: beta?

Posted by Rob Smeets <rb...@gmail.com>.

RE: T5: beta?

Posted by Jonathan Barker <jo...@gmail.com>.
Rob,

Re: T5: beta?

Posted by Davor Hrg <hr...@gmail.com>.
Please ignore him (I personaly have hard time doing so),
he has not yet had any technical comment or question,
he only comes here from time to time to bash on tapestry (reasons unknown).

Davor Hrg

Re: T5: beta?

Posted by Joachim Van der Auwera <jo...@progs.be>.

Re: T5: beta?

Posted by Chris Lewis <ch...@bellsouth.net>.
Wow, you are right! I'll consider using gmail as the framework for my
next application...

http://thegodcode.net

Re: T5: beta?

Posted by Rob Smeets <rb...@gmail.com>.

RE: T5: beta?

Posted by "Blower, Andy" <An...@proquest.co.uk>.

Re: T5: beta?

Posted by Angelo Chen <an...@yahoo.com.hk>.
Hi Howard,

Good to hear that you are putting this in a real test, just like ruby on
rails, it was said to be extracted from a real project and it should have
been working since day 1, that's the selling point. and T5 added more cycles
to that, after alpha, real project, then beta.

Talking about 5.0.12, I'm hesitant to upgrade to that as i read somewhere
that Tapestry-Hibernate is no longer does the commit at end of the session,
will that affect existing programs? do we have to go over all pages and add
a commit? Thanks,

Angelo

Re: T5: beta?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
We're still not making a big deal; the transition from alpha to beta
affects us more than the rest of the world.  I think we'll probably
start seeing a new branch for 5.0 work and a switch-over of trunk to
5.1 pretty soon.

In the meantime, I'm using 5.0.12 for a client project and finding a
fair amount of rough edges and minor bugs.  I'd just as soon take care
of those in parallel with the client project since the end result is a
far more useable and finished 5.0 final.

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 9:05 AM, Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Or get a bigger monitor :o)
>

>  Francois Armand wrote:
>  > Hugo Palma wrote:
>  >> You mean other than
>  >> http://tapestry.apache.org/news.html#Tapestry%205.0.11%20is%20beta and
>  >> the fact that Tapestry 5 in the home page now shows up as "Tapestry 5
>  >> (beta)" ?
>  >>
>  > Oups :) Perhaps should I change my glasses :)
>  >

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: T5: beta?

Posted by Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com>.