Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2004/03/10 11:57:54 UTC

Existing Semantics [was: Defining Avalon's mission]

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 18:26, Leo Sutic wrote:

> >     6. If so, what should it consist of?
>
> The framework spec should consist of... Avalon/Framework.
>
> There are holes in the framework API spec as it is now - for example,
> poolable components (ECM) versus all-components-are-singletons
> (Phoenix).
> Those should be plugged to enable component compatibility.

Just curious,
You don;t consider, for instance,

 * Lookup semantics, such as a Selectors and hierarchical naming,
 * Context entries, and
 * Meta-info formats and 'locations'

as "semantic holes" in the current Framework?

Cheers
Niclas

RE: Existing Semantics [was: Defining Avalon's mission]

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: Niclas Hedhman [mailto:niclas@hedhman.org]
>
> On Wednesday 10 March 2004 18:26, Leo Sutic wrote:
>
> > >     6. If so, what should it consist of?
> >
> > The framework spec should consist of... Avalon/Framework.
> >
> > There are holes in the framework API spec as it is now -
> > for example,
> > poolable components (ECM) versus all-components-are-singletons
> > (Phoenix). Those should be plugged to enable component
> > compatibility.
>
> Just curious,
> You don;t consider, for instance,
>
>  * Lookup semantics, such as a Selectors and hierarchical naming,
>  * Context entries, and
>  * Meta-info formats and 'locations'
>
> as "semantic holes" in the current Framework?

Yes.

(I just don't curse those every day, so they didn't make it to the
list of examples.)

/LS