Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Dennis <da...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/14 03:47:23 UTC

questions about replication factor of __consumer_offsets topic

We noticed that the replication factor is six for *__consumer_offsets* and
as we have been moving consumers over from zk to kf offsets latency for
FetchFollower on the group coordinator for a busy consumer_group increases
significantly (in hundreds of ms), but offset commit latency and cpu
increase as well. This is on a 0.10.2.1 broker.

What are the performance implication of increasing the replication factor
of a topic and how does this change for __consumer_offsets?

What are effects of decreasing replication factor of __consumer_offsets, do
we need to do anything special like stop all of our consumers while we
change the replication factor of this special topic? I think that's our
next step here is to decrease to the default of 3.

Regards,

Dennis Ordanov