Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Steve Martin <sm...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/01 05:08:00 UTC

Need an opinion on svn GUI's

Hey all..

so as a previous post mentioed, I got the unix file permission and
executable bit issues worked out, thanks to the help of the developer in our
lab who recommended subversion.

Anyways, him and I are perfectly comfortable with the command line, however,
a lot of the other developers prefer gui's... for both linux AND windows.

Personally, I kind of like SmartSVN .. the downside is having to mess around
with a jre, but, it IS a fairly simple process to get it running on any OS.

We ran into some problems with eSvn on redhat el4 and as much as I don't
think I'm a moran, I could not get rapidsvn to work properly on redhat el4
either...

SmartSVN however, seems like it would be a good ross-platform choice to keep
the environment uniform.

Any of you folks have any experience with it? Opinions? Recommendations for
other cross platform gui's etc?

Re: Need an opinion on svn GUI's

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
On 6/1/2006 5:57 PM, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>>     >> My usual rant: the only GUI worth using, on any platform, is
>>     >> TortoiseSVN.
>>
>>     Andreas> Hmm, how exactly does TortoiseSVN work on MacOSX or *nix?
>>     Andreas> ;-)
>>
>> It doesn't, of course, which is a shame.
>
> So much than for "any platform" ;-)

His claim is still consistent:  it just says that the other platforms
have no GUIs that are worth using.

But then we have the partial retraction below...

Duncan Murdoch

Posted by Andreas Pakulat <ap...@gmx.de>.

--
Your boyfriend takes chocolate from strangers.

Re: Need an opinion on svn GUI's

Posted by Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net>.

    >> My usual rant: the only GUI worth using, on any platform, is
    >> TortoiseSVN.

    Andreas> Hmm, how exactly does TortoiseSVN work on MacOSX or *nix?
    Andreas> ;-)

It doesn't, of course, which is a shame.

However, I see in my notes that I described KDEsvn
(http://www.alwins-world.de/programs/kdesvn/), version 0.7.2 (which is
kind of old) as "looks reasonable".  For what that's worth.

--
This delightful, self-describing sentence, created 16 February
2005 in honor of Katie Drake, has seven As, three Bs, four Cs,

Re: Need an opinion on svn GUI's

Posted by Andreas Pakulat <ap...@gmx.de>.
On 01.06.06 12:35:55, Eric Hanchrow wrote:
> My usual rant: the only GUI worth using, on any platform, is
> TortoiseSVN.

Hmm, how exactly does TortoiseSVN work on MacOSX or *nix? ;-)

Andreas

--
You've been leading a dog's life.  Stay off the furniture.

Re: Need an opinion on svn GUI's

Posted by Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net>.
My usual rant: the only GUI worth using, on any platform, is
TortoiseSVN.

I'll admit I've never tried SmartSVN, but if it didn't suck, it'd be a
first.
--
[T]he best strip of the last decade is "Dilbert", and it
sure isn't because of the drawing.

Re: Need an opinion on svn GUI's

Posted by Carsten Koch <Ca...@icem.com>.
Steve Martin wrote:
> Any of you folks have any experience with it? Opinions? Recommendations
> for other cross platform gui's etc?

pysvn workbench 1.4 works well on all platforms.
We use it on HP-UX, Solaris, IRIX, Linux and Windows.
See
http://pysvn.tigris.org/docs/WorkBench.html

Carsten.