Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Joe Terry <jo...@knowself.com> on 2001/11/02 18:51:10 UTC

Re: Screens and Layouts ... the bulb is brighter now ...

skipped over some of the
> subtleties that seemed to be obvious.  If you have any specific questions,
> please post them to the list and we will attempt to answer them.

I have one specific question!

How do I use Turbine to get my work done!

Joe Terry

Excerpt from message from "Scott Eade" on Wed, 17 Oct 2001 20:37:10 -0700

Check this message for details:
http://www.mail-archive.com/turbine-user%40jakarta.apache.org/msg03447.html
This information should really be appended to the howto.

I have actually abandoned the work I did on extending
TurbineUser and reverted to the first method until I have
aditional time available to consider other possible solutions.

Cheers,

Scott
Scott,

Now that I have found the message above, I understand why I thought the
"Extend User Howto" was confused and confusing.

I would remove it from the site until a consensis is formed on the right
techniques to use. Giving new users dead ends or worse data corrupting
techniques ....

========================
This worked well until it came to invoking TurbineUser.save()
which fails to save any of the related objects that may have been
added to the TurbineUser object by way of the torque methods
generated because of foreign key definitions.  These methods are
generated and appear to be useful, but at the end of the day they
don't perform their advertised function of associating the added
data with the TurbineUser record (worse than that, the data is
simply discarded).
======================

... to try is not the best way to encourage use of Turbine.

Joe Terry
Turbine newbie with real work to accomplish!

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Joe,

I see you have been busy reading the archives - that is an excellent
way of extracting knowledge from the group.

I think the issue is that turbine, and for that matter many open source
projects, evolve over time as developers contribute and users find
new and interesting ways of doing things.

The desire to extend TURBINE_USER was frequently expressed
and frequently discussed.  A couple of people put together the
original Extend User Howto which was later enhanced to cover
more detail of the steps involved.

The fact that I then went on and discovered a flaw does not
invalidate the approach entirely, but it does mean people have to
be careful about what they are doing if they chose to go down
the identified path.

Removing the Extend User Howto would only put us back to
where we were at the beginning, with ad hoc queries cropping up
left and right about extending the TURBINE_USER table.  Here
is what really needs to occur:

1. As quoted below, the flaw needs to be highlighted in the Howto
along with a description of how the documented solution can be
safely used.

2. Those people interested in resolving the issue can discuss
possible solutions and work on enhancing turbine so that the
problem is resolved.

Having a good description of the problem can only help us along
the path to the solution.

I myself am too busy right now to contribute to this effort and
as it involves the heart of the turbine security module and will
impact other developments such as the ldap integration work
mentioned in the past I think a few more heads need to be
involved to move forward on this.

Who knows, perhaps in a couple of months I will have some
time available to start digging and asking the necessary specific
questions ;-)

I believe the archived message you quote from includes details
of the workaround I currently use.  Another, perhaps better
solution would be to extend TURBINE_USER as documented
and then avoid use of the TurbineUser class for saving other
objects.

Regards,

Scott