Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2012/04/06 07:37:44 UTC

ASDoc minor improvements

Hi,

I was having some issue with ASDocs the other day. In the checked in code I noticed that there's a verbose command line option but no option for the ant task - so I've gone ahead and added one making a it a bit easier to diagnose ASdoc issues.  Plus it's interesting to see what it doing when generating all those docs.

I'm also working on an "includePrivate" option that will generate ASDocs with private methods and properties described (more useful for SDK developers then user of the SDK), this was already done in the code to some extent.

While I'm looking at the ASdocs code any requests for simple changes?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: ASDoc minor improvements

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I looked through projects that I had checkout out,
> and as3-signals, RobotLegs, SwiftSuspenders, and flare all avoid the
> ant task.

I'd take a guess in that it's because the ANT task is harder to debug than the command line option (for instance there's no verbose option which is one of the things I've added.)

Posted by Maciek Sakrejda <m....@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What issues were you having? I've successfully used the asdoc ant task for
> huge projects including mxml and as files.

As the linked comment notes, it was around ant property expansion: the
asdoc executable would be passed file names like "${project-foo.src}"
rather than the expanded versions (which *does* happen with the
compc/mxmlc tasks). I looked through projects that I had checkout out,

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Jonathan Campos

Re: ASDoc minor improvements

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Are there non-trivial examples of working asdocs via the ant tasks out there?
You mean like the Flex SDK documentation :-)

>  https://github.com/deafbybeheading/pegasus/blob/master/build.xml#L93

I'll take a look but it might have to wait until after 360 Flex.

Posted by Maciek Sakrejda <m....@gmail.com>.
For what it's worth, when I was doing docs for pegasus, I could not
find a single project that actually used the asdoc ant task. I looked
at four or five and every one called out to Java tool instead via the
java task (this is what I ended up doing as well) or exec. I think the
issue was around the broken behavior of filesets or something like
that, but I don't remember any details (nor the Flex version I last
tried on, but I believe it was 4.5). Are there non-trivial examples of
working asdocs via the ant tasks out there? If you have spare time to
throw at this, I have a brief (and somewhat bitter--sorry) comment
about it here: https://github.com/deafbybeheading/pegasus/blob/master/build.xml#L93

If you're not willing to dig through this, but are still interested in
fixing the task (if there's still an issue), I can try to convert this
back into the task version and see if it's still broken.

Re: ASDoc minor improvements

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

>> I remember someone on support forums asked that there be an option to
> exclude creation date from HTML pages

Already exists set  "date-in-footer" to false and you get no dates (although I've not doubled checked just looked at the code)

I'm thinking the head SVN revision number may be an option worth considering.

Posted by Left Right <ol...@gmail.com>.

> While I'm looking at the ASdocs code any requests for simple changes?
>
> I remember someone on support forums asked that there be an option to
exclude creation date from HTML pages - the argument towards it was that
they generated documentation during each build and committed it. The date
change on all pages would result in a lot of changes to repository which
made missing important changes more likely.

Best.

Oleg