Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Tung Teck Lee <te...@coolconnect.com> on 2001/09/09 16:02:51 UTC

suggestion about javac command and auto-compilation

Hi

We have been using ant for our project development, has
been quite impressed with the growing list of features
and cross platform capability.

Read the faq, understand that if I compile the java file A.java
using javac with srcdir = /home/x/

and A.java resides in say /home/x/B/

then if A is in the package com.y.B.A, A will be recompiled
everytime I build.

for our source file directories, we took out the 'com/y/' from
the source tree because it is too troublesome to have to
cd too many levels each time.

however, it our directory structure, from '/home/x/' onwards
the directory structure will follow the package name.

Would really love it if there is a parameter in the [javac] command
to specify 'basePackage' so that this will work.

PS: is there is feedback location or something for putting in
such suggestions for Ant? Can't seem to find it.

regards,
Teck Lee

Re: suggestion about javac command and auto-compilation

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Tung Teck Lee <te...@coolconnect.com> wrote:

> is there is feedback location or something for putting in such
> suggestions for Ant? Can't seem to find it.

Go to Ant's homepage, look at the navigation bar on the left side, go
way down the list under "Get Involved" and follow the "Enhancement
Requests" link.

Stefan

Re: suggestion about javac command and auto-compilation

Posted by Ken Wood <kw...@i2.com>.
Talk about twisted logic!

You've chosen to ignore the standard to
avoid a few extra characters in the
'cd' command, and then you want the
ant to compensate...

Here's a different approach - put the
'com/y' back. Then, if you really don't
want to type 'com/y' all the time,
on unix define a symbolic link down
to the level of interest, and use that
when you 'cd'. On NT, 'share' the directory
where you want to start working, map
a drive letter to it, then switch to
that mapped drive.