Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Lance Zhang <lz...@yahoo.com> on 2009/07/27 23:24:01 UTC

Jetspeed Questions regarding WebSphere

HI,

I am trying to get Jetspeed to run on the WebSphere 6.1.

I have the following questions:

1.    I want to know if there is any packaged DLL existing to create schema and pre populate the DB for Oracle.
2.jetspeed-2.2.0.jar was not found.was thrown when i use the jetspeed-db:ddl plugin.
3, i installed the 2.2 using the jar installer, and using the ant task migrated to Oracle, then connect using WebSphere. While i started the websphere, there is an error, PortletContext.getContainerRuntimeOptions() Class Element not found exception. After some research, the WAS 6.1 has its own portlet container, and its class were loaded at the root of the class loader hierarchy. This method is new to the Portlet 2.0 spec and therefore, it doesn't work.
4. I tried the above method using 2.1.3, and i am able to run the Jetspeed. However, i found there is a new issue, i am trying to connect the tomcat version and WebSphere version to the same Oracle DB. and i found i can only start one of them, not both. the reported error relates to the checksum of the j2-admin and then all the portlets has to be de-registered. My questions is will the jetspeed run in clustered environment? If i have 2 WebSphere nodes connecting to one Oracle DB, will that work?
5. While i am running Jetspeed in WebSphere, i enabled j2EE security on WebSphere. Then i found out the admin and the devmgr user ids are no longer working. I have add those 2 ids in LDAP with correct password, is there anything else i need to do to enable these?

thanks/Lance

Re: Error 404: SRVE0190E: File not found: /pdm/

Posted by Lance Zhang <lz...@yahoo.com>.
found a solution and it is working now.

Re: Jetspeed Questions regarding WebSphere

Posted by David Sean Taylor <d....@onehippo.com>.
On Jul 28, 2009, at 6:35 PM, Lance Zhang wrote:

> thank you David for the answers,
>
> I found out that the VersionedPortletApplicationManager is only
> available in 2.2 not in the 2.1.3. Then i have tried the 2.2 on
> WebSphere 6.1.0.25. I followed the "EAR deployment" section and
> still got the class incompatible error. The problem is the class in
> the WebSphere container are loaded as the EXT class loader, which is
> at the top. All the classes we put in the EAR, including the portlet
> api are lower in the hierarchy. In order to load the EAR class
> first,  i will then have to reverse the order of the class loader.
> That could be undesired. Maybe you can help to point me out if i did
> wrong. And will the VersionedPortletApplicationManager work in the
> 2.1.3?

You can get the VersionedPortletApplicationManager in the post release
branch of 2.1.3 (2.1.4 trunk):

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/portals/jetspeed-2/portal/branches/JETSPEED-2.1.3-POSTRELEASE

Since this is not a final release, you will need to build it

Regarding class loader, make sure to put the class loader as
documented on the Websphere deploy guide:

On General Properties, set Class loader order to Classes loaded with
parent class loader last:

beware the screen shot is not correct

> Another question is that we have the requirements for the user to
> customerize the layout their desktop using drag and drop, i am
> trying to see if the web 2.0 based desktop customizer can fit, is
> there any document on this topic? And i assume that once the user
> changes his layout, it will be a new psml for him, am i correct?

There is some end-user documentation here on the Desktop:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/usersguide/desktop.html

A new PSML page is not always created per user. You can configure your
system with either shared pages or unique home pages per user. The
base Jetspeed demo has a combination actually. It would be a resource
saving feature to only create new pages on customization.

Re: Jetspeed Questions regarding WebSphere

On Jul 27, 2009, at 2:24 PM, Lance Zhang wrote:

> HI,
>
> I am trying to get Jetspeed to run on the WebSphere 6.1.
>
> I have the following questions:
>
> 1.    I want to know if there is any packaged DLL existing to create schema and pre populate the DB for Oracle.

I am sorry, we don't provide DDL and SQL scripts per database. We prefer to generate the DDL from a DB-neutral DDL XML format, and then populate the database from also DB-neutral domain-specific XML language. With experience we have discovered this process works great once you get past the high learning curve of a Maven-2 build. The problem is that people are often so discouraged by the build that they simply give up. We have also discovered that at big companies, the database teams really prefer to have SQL seed scripts over Java-utilities that populate the database over JDBC. Anyway, this is the status of things now, so we have to work with it. I could send you the DDL, but then we would still have to somehow get you the SQL scripts to populate the basic seed data, which is currently not available.

Just to get started with building, take a look at the build guide can be found here:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/buildguide/index.html

> 2.jetspeed-2.2.0.jar was not found.was thrown when i use the jetspeed-db:ddl plugin.

As for why you are receiving the error, Im not sure. That file does not exist there. I am not sure why that is happening, as we should be checking against Maven remote repositories such as Apache and Bluesunrise first.  I recommend another approach: try to build a custom build of Jetspeed as described here:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/buildguide/jetspeed-archetype.html

> 3, i installed the 2.2 using the jar installer, and using the ant task migrated to Oracle, then connect using WebSphere. While i started the websphere, there is an error, PortletContext.getContainerRuntimeOptions() Class Element not found exception. After some research, the WAS 6.1 has its own portlet container, and its class were loaded at the root of the class loader hierarchy. This method is new to the Portlet 2.0 spec and therefore, it doesn't work.

Have you read through the documentation on deploying to Websphere here?:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/deployguide/deploying-jetspeed-to-websphere.html

> 4. I tried the above method using 2.1.3, and i am able to run the Jetspeed. However, i found there is a new issue, i am trying to connect the tomcat version and WebSphere version to the same Oracle DB. and i found i can only start one of them, not both. the reported error relates to the checksum of the j2-admin and then all the portlets has to be de-registered. My questions is will the jetspeed run in clustered environment? If i have 2 WebSphere nodes connecting to one Oracle DB, will that work?

The default deployment component will have difficulties in a cluster. Recommend using an alternate Spring configuration with the VersionedPortletApplicationManager:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/deployguide/config-cluster.html
http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/deployguide/config-overrides.html

> 5. While i am running Jetspeed in WebSphere, i enabled j2EE security on WebSphere. Then i found out the admin and the devmgr user ids are no longer working. I have add those 2 ids in LDAP with correct password, is there anything else i need to do to enable these?

I've always disabled J2EE security on the Jetspeed webapp and used Jetspeed's internal security directly. Jetspeed does by default use a J2EE Login Module (I disable it on Websphere), however I never succeeded in getting it to work with Websphere. Im sure if you dig around a bit more you can figure it out

Re: Jetspeed Questions regarding WebSphere

Posted by David Sean Taylor <d....@onehippo.com>.