Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Andrew Savory <as...@apache.org> on 2008/06/02 13:16:05 UTC

Cocoon 2.1 and Cocoon 2.2

Hi all,

Here's a question for you. What's the deal with patches and fixes for Cocoon
2.1 and Cocoon 2.2?

I have some fixes to apply to 2.1 for COCOON-2152, and I figured I should
apply it to 2.2 as well. However, after reviewing the code for 2.2, it seems
there's some divergence since the two were separated. See for example
EventAwareCacheImpl in branch [1] and trunk [2], where there are 8 'meta'
modifications (moving stuff around) but also two serious fixes, at least one
of which could probably have been made to 2.1.

So, are we aiming to keep 2.1 and 2.2 in sync as much as possible, or do I
need to work on two different sets of bugfixes?

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/src/blocks/eventcache/java/org/apache/cocoon/caching/impl/EventAwareCacheImpl.java?view=log
[2]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/trunk/blocks/cocoon-eventcache/cocoon-eventcache-impl/src/main/java/org/apache/cocoon/caching/impl/EventAwareCacheImpl.java?view=log

Andrew.
--
asavory@apache.org / contact@andrewsavory.com
http://www.andrewsavory.com/

Re: Cocoon 2.1 and Cocoon 2.2

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Reinhard Pötz wrote:
> Andrew Savory wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Here's a question for you. What's the deal with patches and fixes for
>>  Cocoon 2.1 and Cocoon 2.2?
>>
>> I have some fixes to apply to 2.1 for COCOON-2152, and I figured I
>> should apply it to 2.2 as well. However, after reviewing the code for
>>  2.2, it seems there's some divergence since the two were separated.
>> See for example EventAwareCacheImpl in branch [1] and trunk [2],
>> where there are 8 'meta' modifications (moving stuff around) but also
>> two serious fixes, at least one of which could probably have been
>> made to 2.1.
>>
>> So, are we aiming to keep 2.1 and 2.2 in sync as much as possible, or
>> do I need to work on two different sets of bugfixes?
>
> My take on this is that every bugfix or enhancement should go at least
> into trunk. If you have the need for adding it to the 2.1. branch too,
> keep it in sync with trunk but I wouldn't want to enforce it by some
> rule.

+1!

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski