Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de> on 2018/11/11 08:37:25 UTC

Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Hello,

after doing a successful building of Apache OpenOffice I want to help
working on a better translation (process)

My first problem is to extract an actual SDF Template

I followed the intructions in the wiki and the slides from FOSDEM 2018.
No success.

localize -e -l en-US -f en-US.sdf

I execute it in <main> and get the message bash: localize: command not found

Are there some requirements to install?

Kind regards

--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice

Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Posted by Stehmann <oo...@mechtilde.de>.

Am 13. Dezember 2018 07:04:07 MEZ schrieb Tigran Zargaryan <ti...@gmail.com>:
>Hello  Mechtilde, just informing that Armenian translation is in
>process,
>it is going well, and have a minor question.
>From the main translation page I see that for Armenian localisation is
>mentioned

><https://translate.apache.org/accounts/matthias.seidel/>)
>
>This should be changed, such as Tigran Zargaryan (e.g. me) is the
>responsible person.

That isn't the name of the responsible person but it is the name of the person who works on it lastly.

>thanks,
>Tigran

Regards
Mechtilde

Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Tigran,

Am 20.01.19 um 12:58 schrieb Tigran Zargaryan:
> Hi  Matthias,
> I can see some Armenian words (using Writer), but I think that the
> translation percentage is still small to have much more lines and menus.
You will see a lot translated text when you go to "Tools - Options..."
> So continuing my efforts.
> thanks for positive information,

You're welcome!

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Tigran Zargaryan <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi  Matthias,

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hello Tigran,

Posted by Tigran Zargaryan <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hello  Mechtilde, just informing that Armenian translation is in process,
it is going well, and have a minor question.
From the main translation page I see that for Armenian localisation is

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Andrea;

I have grabbed the mails from your link and copied them into a text
file. I can start after next week, I have company next week for the
Thanksgiving Holiday here in the U.S.A., to start to put them in shape
for the wiki.

Regards
Keith

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Dick Groskamp wrote:
> As far as my memory serves me, no additions to Pootle were made after
> 3.3 or 3.4.

No, that should be much more recent. Pootle hasn't been used after 4.1.0
since all the 4.1.x releases did not contain string changes. But 4.0.0
and 4.1.0 were fully translated in Pootle (maybe 4.1.0 was updated only
on demand since we didn't have many string changes between 4.0.0 and 4.1.0).

> Pootle came to a halt in probably the year or the year after it went to
> Apache.

It didn't come to a halt per se; simply, new releases haven't brought
string changes and 4.2.0 will be the first release where we need to
import a significant number of string changes.

> Having the old translations in Pootle would require an upgrading of the
> templates in Pootle, used for the translations, with preservation of the
> translated strings.

Due to code changes, 4.2.0 will need some special work: we moved some
strings, and Pootle won't be able to recognize they were moved. But its
built-in translation memory will probably hep and suggest the previous
translation if people are willing to review.

> I mainly worked with translated PO-files ( checking with GSIcheck and
> repairing errors and then putting the corrected PO-files back)

So, would you be able to export (I assume) Dutch from Pootle, pass it
through GSIcheck, check that it passes and document this step? I
remember having troubles at this step when I tried last year, but (even
if I've helped with translations since the pre-Apache era) GSIcheck was
never part of my routine.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dick Groskamp <th...@quicknet.nl>.
As far as my memory serves me, no additions to Pootle were made after
3.3 or 3.4.
Pootle came to a halt in probably the year or the year after it went to
Apache.

Therefore there will be differences.

Having the old translations in Pootle would require an upgrading of the
templates in Pootle, used for the translations, with preservation of the
translated strings.
I've done no work on the translations for AOO since Pootle came to a
halt (except for some small changes)

In the past, someone with admin rights for Pootle, put the genereated
pot-files on Pootle, updated all languages and then we could go translating.

As far as I can see in the documentation for Pootle, that has not changed.
It therefore should be possible to upgrade from the newly generated SDF,
through generated POT-files with preservation of the old strings.

Don't know if there is anyone available from the "old days" with
knowledge of Pootle.

I mainly worked with translated PO-files ( checking with GSIcheck and
repairing errors and then putting the corrected PO-files back)
Don't know how Pootle is set up.

Op 13-11-2018 om 19:51 schreef Andrea Pescetti:
> Mechtilde wrote:
>> as already wrote, I try to work on translation update.
>> Now I could get an actual *.sdf file from source code.
>
> Thanks, Mechtilde! Could you please start from my notes at
> https://s.apache.org/Dukc and copy them to a wiki page (or, if you
> don't like wiki, to a text file to be then copied to a wiki page) so
> that you can take advantage of what I already wrote and fix it?
>
>> After preparing a build directory there I could start localize
>> successful.
>
> OK, so for example my item 1 from the link above
>    ---
> 1. A full checkout of trunk; I believe some of the tools are built
> during the build process, but I'm using a fully built tree anyway.
>    ---
> should be improved to say that you don't actually need a full build
> (but you still need to initialize the build process).
>
>> I could also create *.pot file with oo2po from *.sdf file. There I get
>> many *.pot files in different directories.
>
> I assume you will be looking at German with more attention, right? I
> recommend to just start with one language, since having all SDF files
> is useless anyway (Pootle has only a selection of languages).
>
> Once we get a few languages working, generalizing won't be hard.
>
>> Now I downloaded a *.zip file from Pootle with the previous German
>> translation. Must I do it for every language manually? How can I do it
>> effectivly?
>
> I would suggest this: do the same steps as I did for French and
> Portuguese in the discussion above. Let's check if we get to the same
> conclusions, i.e., that Pootle is in a bad state that does not
> correspond to any release.
>
>> Then I can look for the next steps.
>
> Please note that, as I wrote, we need to go the opposite direction:
> from Pootle to SDF. But we need to re-learn both flows, so it's really
> good if you repeat all the process from my earlier notes.
>
> So your next major steps would be:
> - Exporting German from Pootle (not to Pootle) and build 4.1.6 (not
> 4.2.0) based on it
> - Understanding the "malformed string" error messages when doing the
> above and their impact on the resulting build; this is where I stopped
> on 31 Dec last year, and I think nobody has done further work ever since.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

DiGro

Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hello,

as already wrote, I try to work on translation update.

Now I could get an actual *.sdf file from source code.

After preparing a build directory there I could start localize successful.

I could also create *.pot file with oo2po from *.sdf file. There I get
many *.pot files in different directories.

Now I downloaded a *.zip file from Pootle with the previous German
translation. Must I do it for every language manually? How can I do it
effectivly?

Then I can look for the next steps.

Please help!

Kind regards

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Mechtilde wrote:
> My first problem is to extract an actual SDF Template ...
> I followed the intructions in the wiki and the slides from FOSDEM 2018.

Please find more comprehensive information here:

https://s.apache.org/Dukc

This is a set of messages I sent to the dev list with everything I
managed to discover at the time. It might help you make some progress.

> Does someone use Visual Studio for building and can provide an actual
> *.sdf file.

I really don't think Visual Studio has relevance here. All my
presentation and mailing list messages were done on Linux (no Visual
Studio).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dick Groskamp <th...@quicknet.nl>.
Op 13-11-2018 om 13:48 schreef Mechtilde:
> Hello Dick,
>
> the solution is more easier.
>
> you have to prepare a build without doing "build --all".
>
> Esp. you have to do configure and bootstrap - then it works.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Am 13.11.18 um 13:34 schrieb Dick Groskamp:
>> Mechtilde,
>>
>> [cut]
>>
>> Kind regards

Good for you !

Good luck on the further path to new sdf's

--
DiGro

Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Mechtilde,

Am 13.11.18 um 13:48 schrieb Mechtilde:
> Hello Dick,
>
> the solution is more easier.
>
> you have to prepare a build without doing "build --all".
>
> Esp. you have to do configure and bootstrap - then it works.

Maybe configure and bootstrap isn't even needed, but it doesn't hurt. ;-)

Glad, that it works for you now...

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hello Dick,

Posted by Dick Groskamp <th...@quicknet.nl>.
Mechtilde,

--
DiGro
___________________________

Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hello

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Mechtilde,

Am 11.11.18 um 09:37 schrieb Mechtilde:
> Hello,
>
> after doing a successful building of Apache OpenOffice I want to help
> working on a better translation (process)
>
> My first problem is to extract an actual SDF Template
>
> I followed the intructions in the wiki and the slides from FOSDEM 2018.
> No success.
>
> localize -e -l en-US -f en-US.sdf
>
> I execute it in <main> and get the message bash: localize: command not found

That was exactly the point where I ended up, when I tried it. ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hello