Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by COURTAULT Francois <Fr...@gemalto.com> on 2018/12/07 09:21:10 UTC

ActiveMQ or Artemis

Hello,

I want to use a JMS broker. So I have 2 options: Active MQ or ActiveMQ Artemis.

Reading some infos:

*         ActiveMQ & ActiveMQ Artemis support the same protocols: Openwire, Stomp, AMQP and MQTT but maybe not the same versions of those ones ?

*         Active MQ is JMS 1.1 whereas ActiveMQ Artemis is JMS 2.0 or 1.1.

*         ActiveMQ Artemis seems to be the future of ActiveMQ.

So, according to you, what is the best choice ?

Best Regards.
________________________________

Re: ActiveMQ or Artemis

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
The source of my statement was the ActiveMQ to Artemis migration guide (
https://activemq.apache.org/artemis/migration/index.html), which states the
following:

"The whole message journal is kept in memory and messages are dispatched
directly from it. When we run out of memory, messages are paged on the
producer side(before they hit the broker). Theay are stored in sequential
page files in the same order as they arrived. Once the memory is freed,
messages are moved from these page files into the journal. With paging
working like this, messages are read from the file journal only when the
broker starts up, in order to recreate this in-memory version of the
journal. In this case, the journal is only read sequentially, meaning that
there's no need to keep an index of messages in the journal. This is one of
the main differences between ActiveMQ 5.x and Artemis."

If that description isn't accurate, the migration guide needs to be
updated.

Tim

Re: ActiveMQ or Artemis

Posted by "michael.andre.pearce" <mi...@me.com.INVALID>.