Posted to ruby-dev@lucene.apache.org by Miles Barr <mi...@runtime-collective.com> on 2005/07/07 13:29:10 UTC

How's the port coming along?

Is the ruby port of Lucene an active project? I'm very interested in a
ruby version. There were some threads in May indicating some people were
working on it but there's nothing in the repository. It's not dead is
it?

--
Miles Barr <mi...@runtime-collective.com>
Runtime Collective Ltd.

Re: How's the port coming along?

Posted by Miles Barr <mi...@runtime-collective.com>.
On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 10:37 -0400, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> I just added a comment to the first blog, but did not for the second
> one as it requires registration.  Could someone get in touch with the
> 12's guy and bring him on board to this list?

I'll try to get in touch with him.

Miles

Re: How's the port coming along?

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Very interesting!  I had no idea there were these efforts under way -
thanks for pointing them out.  I still feel strongly that the GCJ/
SWIG approach is the right way to go, and wish I had time to devote
to such an effort, but happily will leave the gory details to those
that really dig that kind of hacking.  PyLucene has shown this
approach to be very fast and also to be able to keep up with the ever
changing Java Lucene API.  I would not want to be left behind with a
native port that doesn't stay up-to-date.

I just added a comment to the first blog, but did not for the second
one as it requires registration.  Could someone get in touch with the
12's guy and bring him on board to this list?

     Erik

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Ah, good that somebody asked about this - I was wondering the same.
I often "pimp" Lucene's Ruby port (just did it this Tuesday at NY Tech
Meetup), so I'd be happy to see it happen.

Did any cooperation with Andi (PyLucene) happen around GCJ/SWIG?

Otis

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org>.
I guess I am the primary driver on this. It isn't dead, I just had a
series of problems interrupt my ability to work on it this spring and
I haven't gotten back to it yet.

In the mean time, the Lucene4C project moved to gcj rather than
reimplementing in C, so that will directly help us.

So, short form: it isn't dead, just delayed if relying on me =)

-Brian