Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Paul Tomsic <pt...@yahoo.com> on 2002/10/02 18:37:07 UTC

web.xml conflict with element tags SERVLET and RESOURCE-REF ? help?

Does anyone know anything about a conflict in the
web.xml file when using both the <resource-ref>
tag AND the <servlet> tag?

Apache1.3/Tomcat4.1.12 on Linux.

When my web.xml file contains both tags (see below for
example) I get the following error in the catalina.out
file:
-----------------------------
6 [main] ERROR digester.Digester  - Parse Error at
line 21 column 11: The conten
t of element type "web-app" must match
"(icon?,display-name?,description?,distri
butable?,context-param*,servlet*,servlet-mapping*,session-config?,mime-mapping*,
welcome-file-list?,error-page*,taglib*,resource-ref*,security-constraint*,login-
config?,security-role*,env-entry*,ejb-ref*)".
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The content of element
type "web-app" must match
"(icon?,display-name?,description?,distributable?,context-param*,servlet*,servle
t-mapping*,session-config?,mime-mapping*,welcome-file-list?,error-page*,taglib*,
resource-ref*,security-constraint*,login-config?,security-role*,env-entry*,ejb-r
ef*)".
--------------------------------

But when I use only one or the other of these tags, I
get no error.  Is there a way to have both elements
live in the same web.xml?
The reason I'm trying to do this is to take advantage
of web pooling and JNDI.

Here's my web.xml file:

--------------

<!DOCTYPE web-app
    PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web
Application 2.2//EN"
    "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.2.dtd">

<web-app>
    <description>Amedd | Agilis
Application</description>
      <resource-ref>
          <description>DB Connection</description>

<res-ref-name>jdbc/TestDB</res-ref-name>
          <res-auth>Container</res-auth>

      </resource-ref>

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>user</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>com.mycompany.server.UserManagementModule</servlet-class>
    </servlet>
</web-app>

thoughts?

thanks,