Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by S G <sg...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/02 19:01:41 UTC

Memory leak in Solr

Hi,

This post shows some stats on Solr which indicate that there might be a
memory leak in there.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40939166/is-this-a-memory-leak-in-solr

Can someone please help to debug this?
It might be a very good step in making Solr stable if we can fix this.

Thanks
SG

Re: Memory leak in Solr

Posted by Scott Blum <dr...@gmail.com>.
Are you sure it's an actual leak, not just memory pinned by caches?

Related: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-9810

Re: Memory leak in Solr

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
That is a huge heap.

Once you have enough heap memory to hold a Java program’s working set,
more memory doesn’t make it faster. I just makes the GC take longer.

If you have GC monitoring, look at how much memory is in use after a full GC.
Add the space for new generation (eden, whatever), then a bit more for
burst memory usage. Set the heap to that.

I recommend fairly large new generation memory allocation. An HTTP service
has a fair amount of allocation that has a lifetime of one HTTP request. Those
allocations should never be promoted to tenured space.

We run with an 8G heap and a 2G new generation with 4.10.4.

Of course, make sure you are running some sort of parallel GC. You can use
G1 or use CMS with ParNew, your choice. We are running CMS/ParNew, but
will be experimenting with G1 soon.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

Re: Memory leak in Solr

Posted by S G <sg...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Eric.

Re: Memory leak in Solr

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: Memory leak in Solr

Posted by William Bell <bi...@gmail.com>.
What do you mean by JVM level? Run Solr on different ports on the same
machine? If you have a 32 core box would you run 2,3,4 JVMs?

--
Bill Bell
billnbell@gmail.com

Re: Memory leak in Solr

Posted by Jeff Wartes <jw...@whitepages.com>.

Re: Memory leak in Solr

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Re: Memory leak in Solr

Posted by S G <sg...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > up nearly 500GB of disk space.  This index is also distributed on
> > multiple machines.
> >
> > Are you experiencing any problems other than what you perceive as slow
> > queries?  I asked some other questions on stackoverflow.  In particular,
> > I'd like to know the total memory on the server, the total number of
> > documents (maxDoc and numDoc) you're handling with this server, as well
> > as the total index size.  What do your queries look like?  What version
> > and vendor of Java are you using?  Can you share your config/schema?
> >
> > A memory leak is very unlikely, unless your Java or your operating
> > system is broken.  I can't say for sure that it's not happening, but
> > it's just not something we see around here.
> >
> > Here's what I have collected on performance issues in Solr.  This page
> > does mostly concern itself with memory, though it touches briefly on

Re: Memory leak in Solr

Posted by bi...@gmail.com.

Re: Memory leak in Solr

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Re: Memory leak in Solr

Posted by Scott Blum <dr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Memory leak in Solr

Posted by Greg Harris <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

All your stats show is large memory requirements to Solr. There is no
direct mapping of number of documents and queries to memory reqts as
requested in that article. Different Solr projects can yield extremely,
extremely different requirements. If you want to understand your memory
usage better, you need to do a heap dump and to analyze it with something
like Eclipse MemoryAnalyzer or YourKit. Its STW, so you will have a little
bit of downtime. In 4.10 I'd almost already guess that your culprit is not
using docValues for things being faceted, grouped, sorted on leaving you
with a large fieldCache and yielding large memory requirements which will
not be cleaned upon a gc as they are still "live objects". While I couldn't
say that's true for sure without more analysis, its IME, pretty common.

Greg

Re: Memory leak in Solr

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
We’ve been running Solr 4.10.4 in prod for a couple of years. There aren’t any obvious
memory leaks in it. It stays up for months.

Objects ejected from the cache will almost always be tenured, so that tends to cause
full GCs.

If there are very few repeats in your query load, you’ll see a lot of cache ejections.
This can also happen if you have an HTTP cache in front of the Solr hosts.
What are the hit rates on the Solr caches?

Also, are you using “NOW” in your queries? That will cause a very low hit rate
on the query result cache.

We can’t help without a lot more information, like your search architecture, the
search collections, the query load, cache sizes, etc.

Finally, this is not a question for the dev list. This belongs on solr-user, so I’m
dropping the reply to the dev list.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org