Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Daniel Noll <da...@nuix.com> on 2007/06/12 01:12:10 UTC

Unusual network utilisation

Hi all.

Has anyone seen a situation where when trying to retrieve a blob, network
usage jumps to >90% for a long period of time?

The client is just doing a simple query and then copying the blob into a file
(a chunk at a time) and it sounds like it's taking too long for copying a
10MB blob.  I haven't experienced this problem ever myself, but we've had a
report like this come in so I'm wondering if there is some kind of reasonable
explanation.

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll
Nuix Pty Ltd

Re: Unusual network utilisation

Posted by V....@Sun.COM.
Daniel Noll wrote:

>On Tuesday 12 June 2007 11:59:11 V.Narayanan@sun.com wrote:
>

>>Hi Daniel,
>>
>>Can you pls mention the Derby version you are using ?
>>

>It appears to be 10.2.2.0.
>
>Daniel

Hi Daniel,

There have been issues reported with CLOB performance on linux systems
with 10.2.2.0.

Pls find more information here

A small extract from the same issue

"For the next version of Derby (10.3) we are changing the way LOBs are
sent between client and server.
The main purpose is to reduce the memory requirements when dealing with
large LOBs,
but I think the performance should improve for some operations. The new
code has been checked into the
development branch."

The issue actually says that the code is currently disabled. But it has
been enabled now.

Narayanan

Re: Unusual network utilisation

Posted by Daniel Noll <da...@nuix.com>.