Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org> on 2011/05/20 01:18:44 UTC

Documentation: TODO

Hey folks,

Following my last email, here's a list of things that need attention,
before we can consider exposing our documentation to a larger
user-base. These are things you can do even if you couldn't put
together a coherent sentence at gunpoint.

If you would like to do any of the following points, please reply
to this mail, so people know you're making an effort.

The documentation can currently be found in
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/trafficserver/site/branches/ats-cms/
(in content) It's being auto deployed (svnpubsub) to
http://trafficserver.staging.apache.org/

Navigation (Perl)
=================

Right now we have Top|Next|Back style links which
don't seem to work in nested directories: (try the
"Next" link here, and then on the next document)
http://trafficserver.staging.apache.org/docs/trunk/admin/configuration-files/

I've started fiddling around with this
http://paste.ubuntu.com/610332/ + (slight mod to order.txt) to
generate something like this: http://paste.ubuntu.com/609268/ I'm not
sure this is feasible to put on every page, but it should at the very
least be put on the first page.

Anyway, a full [TOC] should be on every page.

CSS
===

Our customers should be able to clearly distinguish the single parts
of a document. So far this works pretty well with code blocks, and
that's about it :) It's very hard to tell at which depth level
(h1-h4) you are

Instead of tables as in the old docs, I have (ab)used definition
lists. The CSS could need some love...

As mentioned above, I'd like to fit a navigation on every HTML page,
while still being able to read it on my tiny laptop - If you think
that's a bad idea, say something!

Fonts
=====

I'm not very sure if the choice of fonts is the right one. I changed
body { font-family: sans-serif; } and it looks better. If you
disagree, say something

Search (HTML/JavaScript)
========================

Our old documentation has a Google search - our new documentation
should have that too! (Or, if you're bored and want to do
solr/lucene...) Our

Links to Doxygen (Perl)
=======================

Our Doxygen reference is currently created by buildbot and deployed
to http://ci.apache.org/projects/trafficserver/trunk/doxygen/ I would
like to have some custom Markdown "macro" which generates a link from
something like $FooBar::baz$ into a link to the appropriate function,
method, namespace, operator or whatever that's supposed to be amc
already has something like this. Bug him.

(My mails just keep getting longer ;)

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: Documentation: TODO

Posted by Jason Giedymin <ja...@gmail.com>.
You have privs to install plone on the apache domain and add it to the supported tool set?

-Jason

Re: Documentation: TODO

Posted by "w.p.w" <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: Documentation: TODO

Posted by "w.p.w" <he...@gmail.com>.
Hello
Yes, my bad :) we can handle putting in themes and help with the UI
along with the devs and everyone else who wants to contribute.
Shoulkd there be a tieline / roadmap for this ?

Peace

Wyn

Re: Documentation: TODO

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Re: Documentation: TODO

Posted by "w.p.w" <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: Documentation: TODO

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Re: Documentation: TODO

Posted by "w.p.w" <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: Documentation: TODO

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> >> +1. I actually like the look and feel of our current home page a
> >> lot.
> >> was hoping that we could keep it, or at least something similar. I
> >> think
> >> part of the problem is that no one (other than you Miles) is
> >> really
> >> comfortable with site designs, CSS etc. So, it'd be great to get
> >> your
> >> help here I think.
> >
> > The current staging page is a result of me migrating the content to
> > and neglecting the style -- simply because I suck at CSS.
>

> Happy to help -- but, honestly, I've no idea where to even start on
> this one.  I started looking at it with an intent to make a few css
> changes to replicate the current live home page, but, realized:
> - the front page likely needs some additional CSS that would be
> irrelevant to (and/or conflicting with) the rest of the site ... and
> no clue how to add that.
> - even if I could add them, the html doesn't have the page structural
> elements to target the elements -- and no clue how to give the
> sections the appropriate targets.

r1135344 - I created a distinction between front page and docs page
That way we can style the whole thing in parts.

I really hope that helps a bit and lowers the bar.

If there's anything else in regard to the CMS I can help with,
please point it out.

> For the current page, my CSS skillz are way overrated. I went to a
> point and click site layout generator:
> http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/grids/builder/
> clicked a few buttons, and copied the resulting output.  The linked
> in styles have all the smarts of getting columns and defining widths
> cross-browser.
>
> miles

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: Documentation: TODO

Posted by Miles Libbey <mi...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: Documentation: TODO

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

--
Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: Documentation: TODO

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 06/07/2011 02:54 PM, Miles Libbey wrote:

> Wow. Sounds like a project to tackle when I get a lot smarter.  I hope this both sounds a lot less daunting for others, and something like this is rarely needed.
>
> I'll download the html and make some modifications to the pages.

I agree, hopefully the tools will improve so mere mortals like me can
also help with docs.

> IMO, the current staged front page does not look good.  The projects that have front pages that I think look decent (Cassandra (http://cassandra.apache.org/), Memcached (http://memcached.org/), Wordpress (http://wordpress.org/), Redhat (http://www.redhat.com/), Miro (http://www.getmiro.com/), Pidgim (http://www.pidgin.im/), etc) have mixed grids, with 1-3 columns per 'row.'  I'm ok with not using the current live front page design -- but, it really should be somewhat purposely designed -- the current staged front page gives me a feeling it got the default documentation treatment, and suffers as a result. A bit of css isn't really going to help that -- there isn't enough document structure to change much.

+1. I actually like the look and feel of our current home page a lot. I

Re: Documentation: TODO

Posted by Miles Libbey <mi...@yahoo-inc.com>.
On Jun 7, 2011, at 8:20 AM, Igor Galić wrote:
> You *could* use the web interface:
>
> https://cms.apache.org/ -- but right now, that has the old HTML site in there.
> We should probably change that.
>
> I pre-build the changes on my local box.
> To do this I check out the cms:
>
> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/cms/build cms
>
> You'll need the python-markdown version of markdown installed.
> Given that in Ubuntu it's called /usr/bin/markdown_py - I *symlink* it to /usr/local/bin
> Where, by default, it's expected to be anyway.
>
> There are a number of CPAN modules that you'll need:
> SVN::Client, SVN::Wc
> LWP::Simple
> XML::Atom
> XML::RSS::Parser::Lite
>
> Then, to build:
>
> i.galic@panic ~/Projects/asf/cms (svn)-[build:787652] % export MARKDOWN_SOCKET=$PWD/logs/mardownd.pipe
> i.galic@panic ~/Projects/asf/cms (svn)-[build:787652] % python markdownd.py
> i.galic@panic ~/Projects/asf/cms (svn)-[build:787652] % ..
> i.galic@panic ~/Projects/asf % $PWD/cms/build_site.pl --source-base ats-cms --target-base   ats-cms-docroot
> Can't open cgi-bin [skipping]: No such file or directory at /home/i.galic/Projects/asf/cms/build_site.pl line 57.
> i.galic@panic ~/Projects/asf

Wow. Sounds like a project to tackle when I get a lot smarter.  I hope this both sounds a lot less daunting for others, and something like this is rarely needed.

I'll download the html and make some modifications to the pages.

>> Do the site pages (home and download) have to have the same CSS as
>> the documentation?
>
> Probably not - I'm pretty sure there's a simple and sane way to give
> them a different CSS. But I would suggest to really stick to one
> design.. It's kinda confusing - or irritating when it switches.
>
> Witness: http://httpd.apache.org/ vs
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/core.html#adddefaultcharset

The general look and feed doesn't have to change.

IMO, the current staged front page does not look good.  The projects that have front pages that I think look decent (Cassandra (http://cassandra.apache.org/), Memcached (http://memcached.org/), Wordpress (http://wordpress.org/), Redhat (http://www.redhat.com/), Miro (http://www.getmiro.com/), Pidgim (http://www.pidgin.im/), etc) have mixed grids, with 1-3 columns per 'row.'  I'm ok with not using the current live front page design -- but, it really should be somewhat purposely designed -- the current staged front page gives me a feeling it got the default documentation treatment, and suffers as a result. A bit of css isn't really going to help that -- there isn't enough document structure to change much.

>>> Fonts
>>> =====
>>>

> Again, I'm suggesting to stick to one font(style). I don't know
> if my choice was any good.

Actually, you've done the opposite.  You are letting each browser/OS choose for you instead of sticking to one.  To get something more consistent, you should borrow from the css resets -- like

font:13px/1.231 arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;
*font-size:small;
*font:x-small;

>>> Search (HTML/JavaScript)
>>> ========================
>>>
>>> Our old documentation has a Google search - our new documentation
>>> should have that too! (Or, if you're bored and want to do
>>> solr/lucene...) Our
>>
>> What is the primary issue -- ie, is there a reason we can't just copy
>> over the form and search page?
>
> There probably isn't. The reason why I didn't include it was because it
> contained icky stuff I don't know how to handle (JavaScript and Google)

Ah. I used Google because it was 16 lines of cut and paste html/javascript and configuring it to search confluence, the mail-archives and the site took typing in 3 addresses.  I don't think we should go live with the new stuff until we have search -- it looks to be our 5th most popular page.

miles

Re: Documentation: TODO

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> [...]

> font, arial.  falling back to another sans-serif font (Helvetica)
> and then finally falls back to the sans-serif family. In the
> documentation side, the font is set to the default sans-serif font,
> arial -- there should not be a major difference in that change :)

Again, I'm suggesting to stick to one font(style). I don't know
if my choice was any good.

> > Search (HTML/JavaScript)
> > ========================
> >
> > Our old documentation has a Google search - our new documentation
> > should have that too! (Or, if you're bored and want to do
> > solr/lucene...) Our
>
> What is the primary issue -- ie, is there a reason we can't just copy
> over the form and search page?

There probably isn't. The reason why I didn't include it was because it
contained icky stuff I don't know how to handle (JavaScript and Google)

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: Documentation: TODO

Posted by Miles Libbey <mi...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: Documentation: TODO

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

Like I said, if you know CSS, JS or Perl, you can help
with any of the issues below.

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: Documentation: TODO

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> [...]

> > disagree, say something
> >
> > Search (HTML/JavaScript)
> > ========================
> >
> > Our old documentation has a Google search - our new documentation
> > should have that too! (Or, if you're bored and want to do
> > solr/lucene...) Our
> >
> > Links to Doxygen (Perl)
> > =======================
> >
> > Our Doxygen reference is currently created by buildbot and deployed
> > to http://ci.apache.org/projects/trafficserver/trunk/doxygen/ I
> > would
> > like to have some custom Markdown "macro" which generates a link
> > from
> > something like $FooBar::baz$ into a link to the appropriate
> > function,
> > method, namespace, operator or whatever that's supposed to be amc
> > already has something like this. Bug him.

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: Documentation: TODO