Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org> on 2019/12/19 02:59:19 UTC

[DISCUSS] Avatica 1.16.0 dockerfiles broken. Release 1.17.0?

Upon finalizing the release for Avatica 1.16.0, I noticed that the
dockerfiles would not build on docker hub. Upon investigation, it
appears that the file names of the jars on nexus has changed slightly.

The current dockerfiles [1] references
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/public/org/apache/calcite/avatica/avatica-standalone-server/${AVATICA_VERSION}/avatica-standalone-server-${AVATICA_VERSION}-shaded.jar

Where as on nexus, they are now called
avatica-standalone-server-${AVATICA_VERSION}.jar.

- Can anyone confirm if the
avatica-standalone-server-${AVATICA_VERSION}-shaded.jar and
avatica-standalone-server-${AVATICA_VERSION}.jar.
jars are suppose to be equivalent?

- Since the docker images for 1.16.0 cannot be built, I think we ought
to fix the dockerfiles and release a 1.17.0.

Francis

[1]
https://github.com/apache/calcite-avatica/tree/master/docker/src/main/dockerhub

Re: [DISCUSS] Avatica 1.16.0 dockerfiles broken. Release 1.17.0?

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.
In terms of the changes for this release, the dockerfiles has been fixed
and I believe you've reordered the steps for finalizing a release using
gradle.

I think the problem is somewhat annoying, but has not been an issue
before. If there is some consensus regarding this, I am happy to make
rc0 available for voting in the next couple of days.

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.
Has there been any progress/solution regarding the LF and CRLF issue?

Francis

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.
I was thinking that if the check says that there is no problem then apply
would be a noop.

I have the impression that source releases are necessary and obligatory so
that the ASF is covered from a legal perspective. If I am not mistaken even
companies with closed source code are obliged to release the sources (to
some 3rd party) so that if for some reason the company closes the clients
which bought the software have a way to recover the code and make changes
if necessary. I don't know much about legal stuff but I guess something
similar holds for the ASF. So even if nobody uses the source releases it is
necessary to provide one.

As you said it might be helpful for a few people to have the sources with
different line endings but given that nobody asked for it till now we could
skip it and keep our release process simpler.

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.
Personally, I would opt for a more permissive build.

Unexpected line endings is kind of subjective.
I guess there are people who use Windows and they still have their editors
configured to use LF endings.

Moreover, checking other opensource projects it is kind of rare to release
source code in multiple formats with different line endings.
I didn't attempt to build these projects but I would be surprised if the
build fails depending on the OS.

Indeed in some cases these might lead to test failures or other weird
behavior but these should not happen very often.

On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 3:44 PM Vladimir Sitnikov <

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.
Apart from releasing the zip archives do we have another option so that the
build on the tar.gz does not fail on Windows?
I don't remember anybody complaining about this when we were using the
maven build, so I am wondering if we had some special configuration.

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rui Wang <am...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.
 From past experience, I think it the files should become available as

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.
Thanks for confirming, Vladimir. I'll fix the dockerfiles and make
1.17.0 available for voting.

Does the release repository task wait until the repository has been
fully released before returning? If so, I think it should be quite easy
to rearrange the tasks and we can get it into this release.

Francis

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.
I did check the difference between the -shaded.jar (1.15.0) and .jar
(1.16.0) files on nexus yesterday and they seemed to be roughly the same
size, at least much bigger than the .jar files in (1.15.0).

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.