Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Matt Savona <ma...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/23 16:01:36 UTC

index time field level boosting in 6.6.0

Hi all,

I am trying to upgrade to Lucene 6.6.0. I see that index time field level
boosting via Field#setBoost is now deprecated.

The suggested replacement is a FunctionScoreQuery at query time.

I am using the MultiTermQueryParser to search an arbitrary user-supplied
query string against multiple indexed fields.

FunctionScoreQuery seems appropriate to apply an indexed boost value
against a Query which might represent only a single Field.

However it is not clear to me how one decomposes a MultiTermQuery and then
applies the indexed boost value to each field as it appears in the
rewritten query.

Could someone please illustrate the suggested way to replace index time
field level boosting now that it has been deprecated? In particular, it
would be helpful to know how one rewrites a MultiTermQuery to apply the
indexed boost values against each field at query time.

Thank you very much in advance!

- Matt