Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Ari Halberstadt <ar...@shore.net> on 1998/08/14 20:07:18 UTC

mod_jserv/2854: misconfiguration makes jserv got nuts

>Number:         2854
>Category:       mod_jserv
>Synopsis:       misconfiguration makes jserv got nuts
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
When one of the config files is quite right, or something is changed (e.g., removing a jar file) jserv tries repeatedly to launch the jvm and load the file. It does this as fast as possible. Under NT, this ends up saturating the CPU and would eventually also fill up the disk drive. The same behavior basically happens on Linux. The jserv log file on NT has stuff like

(INFO) wrapper: Java Virtual Machine started (PID=126)
(INFO) wrapper: Java Virtual Machine crashed

my error log contains lines like

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Repository d:/foo/foo.jar doesn't exist!

this happened to me when I changed the version of my cope from 0.1.2 to 0.1.4 and the paths in the directories were no longer valid.

this can be a real hastle if one doesn't have direct access to the apache server (consider running under an isp), since it means that if you make a tiny mistake the server will just hog the machine and your isp will have to intervene. Even if you do have direct access it's not good to have a runaway process like this.
>How-To-Repeat:
start apache with a servlet repository pointing to a nonexistent repository, or move an old repository out of the way
>Fix:
maybe try starting up and/or loading up to, say, 3 times, and if it still fails set a flag not to reload it until the server is restarted and log an appropriate message to the jserv and error log files. alternatively, to avoid having to restart the web server, one could have a delay factor. if jserv can startup it could wait, say, 60 seconds before trying again (or upon the server being restarted).