Posted to modules-dev@httpd.apache.org by Sam Carleton <sc...@miltonstreet.com> on 2008/11/24 04:18:58 UTC

Setting a handler within a configuration directive

Is there any way to *hide* configuration?  I would like to set a
handler within a configuration directive.  Can it be done?

I have posted a number of questions along these lines and never get a
response, is this because folks simply don't know the answer?  If
folks here don't know the answer, where might I go to find the answer?

Sam

Re: Setting a handler within a configuration directive

Posted by Sam Carleton <sc...@miltonstreet.com>.
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Houser, Rick <Ho...@aoins.com> wrote:
> Contract, as in the piece of paper you get someone to sign in order to
> license your software.  It would spell out the responsibilities of both
> parties for support, penalties for violating those terms (ex. running at
> levels above the paid entitlement), etc.  I mean the exact same meaning
> of the word as used in higher-end desktop software.  EULAs don't really
> hold much legal standing, specifically because they are NOT contracts.
> You need a signature of some kind from both you and your customer
> agreeing to the terms.

Oh, I am a little slow sometimes;)  I am a one man shop with no funds
and I am targeting small business owners, we are a very informal
group.  Even if there was a contact, I don't have the resources to go
after them and they aren't really going to have the funds to make it
worth going after:)

The honest truth is that 99% of my market doesn't even know what
Apache is, let alone that there is a conf file that could be changed
to get different behavior.

Posted by "Houser, Rick" <Ho...@aoins.com>.
Contract, as in the piece of paper you get someone to sign in order to
license your software.  It would spell out the responsibilities of both
parties for support, penalties for violating those terms (ex. running at
levels above the paid entitlement), etc.  I mean the exact same meaning
of the word as used in higher-end desktop software.  EULAs don't really
hold much legal standing, specifically because they are NOT contracts.
You need a signature of some kind from both you and your customer
agreeing to the terms.

Thanks,

Rick Houser
Auto-Owners Insurance
Systems Support
(517)703-2580

Posted by Sam Carleton <sc...@miltonstreet.com>.

Posted by Sam Carleton <sc...@miltonstreet.com>.
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 10:49 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> Sam Carleton wrote:
> >
> > I am a small one man ISV.  My software has different versions which
> > have different features.  I want to hide the fact that I am setting a
> > handler and authtype in the http.conf so my customer cannot hack the
> > module into providing features in which they did not purchase.
>
> Start the server with -f real.conf.  Within real.conf, Include httpd.conf
>
> Otherwise no, and if you review server_info, these will show up.  Consider
> the POV of other Administrators, you certainly wouldn't want such things
> hidden from your purview as the admin, right?  So there's no such facility

Actually, there is no "administrator" of the web server, it is a
packaged solution where I am distributing the pieces of Apache that
are needed to run my app and I have a desktop application that creates
the httpd.conf and starts the web server.  Ultimately I am going for
security by way of obfuscation.  I know there are better ways and
maybe with time I will move that direction, but one step at a time;)

I was going to use SSL until I remembered there are export laws to
worry about, so being a one man shop, it simply isn't worth it:)

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by "Houser, Rick" <Ho...@aoins.com>.
Sam,

With all due respect, it sounds like you are trying to implement a DRM
scheme.  It is not technically possible to provide a customer/user all
the portions needed to use a feature and absolutely prevent them from
fixing the broken code preventing it's access.  If you don't want
someone to have a specific capability, don't ship them the tools
implementing that feature.

Thanks,

Rick Houser
Auto-Owners Insurance