Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by David Marston/Cambridge/IBM <da...@us.ibm.com> on 2002/10/23 04:53:01 UTC

Re: MAC MS IE unwanted system characters,

Richard Van Deren writes:
>  <thorn>ÿ><html>...  from IE source output
>the above appears before my Xalan output to create an HTML page.
>Netscape does not mind, however mac ie 5.2 does not like it, IE
>prints it as fiÿ<html>
>What is this thing, my guess is some character set info.

It looks to me like the byte-order mark. If you generate UTF-16
encoded output, the characters þÿ (hope these render for you;
resembles py) would appear on a big-endian system, which I think
the Mac is. The characters occur in the opposite order on Intel
and other little-endian systems.
.................David Marston