Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com> on 2018/01/11 10:56:20 UTC

Transparent Splash Screen Background - Windows 10

Julio suggested I bring this up for discussion so... related to:

     CB-13641 - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-13641
     and https://github.com/apache/cordova-windows/pull/245

I'd like to find out if there is any support for or objections to
allowing transparent splash screen backgrounds on Windows.

As you know, Cordova apps targeting Windows 10 execute on desktops and
laptops in addition to tablets.  In that environment, some apps - the
Settings app, for example - use the user-selected accent color for the
splash background as well as the title bar background. Following that
convention in some cases results in a more aesthetically pleasing
startup than with a fixed color.  And, using 'transparent' as the splash
background color value causes exactly that to take place.

In the current splash screen implementation for Windows, both the title
bar background and the window background are filled with the splash
background color at startup.  Then, when the splash page is hidden, the
title bar reverts to the user-selected accent color and the window to
the app background which, depending on the colors in use, may not be a
very appealing transition.

In my case, I found using the accent color as the background much more
satisfying which is why I went ahead and created the PR.  Other
developers may find it useful as well.  And for those that don't, an RGB
color can still be supplied.

-Terence Bandoian

Re: Transparent Splash Screen Background - Windows 10

Posted by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com>.
It already is a tiny bit - but if you take care of that I will merge
it - nobody else seems to care either way (obviously), but I am
confident enough to merge this.

Thanks for your work!

-J

Posted by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com>.