Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Ryan Winkler <Ry...@i-link.net> on 2001/05/07 22:34:34 UTC

element must contain a: 'faultcode' element

Note: I'm following the example found at
http://www.javaworl.com/javaworld/jw-04-2001/jw-0429-soap_p.html

I'm using the basic Apache/Xerces/SOAP setup, but can't seem to get a simple
example to run. First,
I used the admin tool to get my Java code deployed (which seemed to work
smoothly). At this point in
time, I began a series of problems involving fault codes. Suggestions?
Hints? Yada yada yada?  Ack.
-Ryan Winkler

If you want further details, here they are:

During execution of Call.invoke(), I get:
[SOAPException: faultCode=SOAP-ENV:Client; msg=A
'<http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/:Fault>' element must contain a:
'faultcode' element.; targetException=java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
A '<http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/:Fault>' element must contain
a: 'faultcode' element.]
at org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.invoke(Call.java:244)
at hello.Client.main(Client.java:50)

After fighting with this exception for a while, I un-deployed the service,
thinking that perhaps if
I registered it by hand, that might help. I copied the XML right out of the
article and ran the ServiceManagerClient
(java org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient
<http://soapmachine/soap/servlet/rpcrouter> deploy hello.xml).

I then got this:
Exception in thread "main" [SOAPException: faultCode=SOAP-ENV:Client; msg=A
'<http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/:Fault>' element must contain
a: 'faultcode' element.; targetException=java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
A '<http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/:Fault>' element must contain
a: 'faultcode' element.]
at org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.invoke(Call.java:244) at
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.invokeMethod(ServiceManagerClien
t.java:127)
at
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.deploy(ServiceManagerClient.java
:140)
at
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.main(ServiceManagerClient.java:2
28)

Finally, I redeployed using the admin tool. From the command line, I typed
the following:
java org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient
<http://soapmachine/soap/servlet/rpcrouter> query urn:Hello

This resulted in:
Exception in thread "main" [SOAPException: faultCode=SOAP-ENV:Client; msg=A
'<http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/:Fault>' element must contain
a: 'faultcode' element.; targetException=java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
A '<http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/:Fault>' element must contain
a: 'faultcode' element.] at org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.invoke(Call.java:244)
at
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.invokeMethod(ServiceManagerClien
t.java:127)
at
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.query(ServiceManagerClient.java:
160)
at
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.main(ServiceManagerClient.java:2
46)