Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by thully <tm...@eng.ucsd.edu> on 2014/11/21 20:39:09 UTC

Upgrading Karaf 2.3.5 to 2.4.0 (or 3.0.2)

Hi,

Our application (Cytoscape) runs on top of a custom Karaf distribution that
is currently based on Karaf 2.3.5. As this is a desktop application used by
many end-users, we need to upgrade our Karaf release to one that fully
supports Java 8. As such, we had a few questions:

1) What reasons are there to pick Karaf 2.4.0 vs 3.0.2? Based on the
versioning, it seems that Karaf 2.4.0 would be the "safer" option for 2.x
users - though it does seem that 2.4 is using a newer version of OSGi than
3.0.2 (5.0 vs 4.3).

2) When I tried to update my custom distribution from Karaf 2.3.5 to 2.4.0
(by changing our pom dependencies), I no longer see the Karaf console. I
managed to trace the issue to the system.properties file - we use our own in
the distribution, and replacing with the default file makes the console work
(but breaks our configuration). What exactly has changed here? Is there a
good reference with respect to version-to-version Karaf configuration
changes?

3) Our application bundles use OSGi 4.2 as a "provided" dependency  - will
this be a problem on either Karaf 2.4.0 or 3.0.2? Upgrading the dependency
would be undesirable - they seem to have made some breaking changes between
4.2 and 4.3 (though very subtle), and I'd expect 5.0 might be worse... The
bundles do seem to work fine on 2.3.5, though...

Re: Upgrading Karaf 2.3.5 to 2.4.0 (or 3.0.2)

Posted by Oliver Pajonk <ol...@pjnk.de>.
JB: Fair enough, I did not really expect anything else. I just wanted to
make sure I did not miss something :-)

Achim: I guess then the "target 1.7" is the trick :). Since I wanted to use
lambdas I had to set target to 1.8, which did not work. Anyway, thanks for
the quick reply!

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Follow-up on the OpenJPA part,
the sources I used for my ApacheCon talk where compiled with Java8
(targeted version 1.7)
and did run nicely with Apache Karaf 3.0.2 and OpenJPA running with Java8.
So I didn't have an issue with that so far.

regards, Achim

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Oliver Pajonk <ol...@pjnk.de>.

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ryan Moquin <fr...@gmail.com>.
It's really not that difficult to upgrade and the improvements in Karaf 3.x
are certainly worth it.  I think the biggest changes end up being in
integration tests, but the cellar and karaf integrarion tests are a great
way to see what the upgraded tests look like.

I'd highly recommend upgrading and think the risk isn't as great as it
seems.

Ryan

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

see my comments inline:

> 1) What reasons are there to pick Karaf 2.4.0 vs 3.0.2? Based on the
> versioning, it seems that Karaf 2.4.0 would be the "safer" option for 2.x
> users - though it does seem that 2.4 is using a newer version of OSGi than
> 3.0.2 (5.0 vs 4.3).

I would say go directly to 3.0.x. 2.4.x is just a transition branch: it
includes new features but is still based on the 2.x "architecture". 3.x
include architecture change, and major updates.

> 2) When I tried to update my custom distribution from Karaf 2.3.5 to 2.4.0
> (by changing our pom dependencies), I no longer see the Karaf console. I
> managed to trace the issue to the system.properties file - we use our own in
> the distribution, and replacing with the default file makes the console work
> (but breaks our configuration). What exactly has changed here? Is there a
> good reference with respect to version-to-version Karaf configuration
> changes?

It's probably the console bundle. Do you have a custom distribution pom
similar to the one in the documentation ? Can you share the pom
constructing your distro ?

> 3) Our application bundles use OSGi 4.2 as a "provided" dependency  - will
> this be a problem on either Karaf 2.4.0 or 3.0.2? Upgrading the dependency
> would be undesirable - they seem to have made some breaking changes between
> 4.2 and 4.3 (though very subtle), and I'd expect 5.0 might be worse... The
> bundles do seem to work fine on 2.3.5, though...

Provided means that it will use the one provided by Karaf. As it's
backward compatible, it should not be an issue.

Regards
JB

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Upgrading Karaf 2.3.5 to 2.4.0 (or 3.0.2)

Posted by thully <tm...@eng.ucsd.edu>.
Karaf 3.0.2 seems to be working well so far - not seeing the issues we had
with 3.0.1, and it is working with Java 8. Is there anything I should look
out for with regards to the Karaf 2.x-> 3.0 transition?

Also, I noticed that Karaf 4.0 seems to already be in the works. Is this
going to replace Karaf 3 anytime soon, and is there anything we should worry
about as far as a future transition? We don't necessarily need all the
latest features, though we do need to be able to run on the latest stable
JVM (Java 8 has been a big issue for us given the lack of support in 2.2/2.3
and the relative instability of Karaf 3 at the time of its release).