Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Chris H." <ch...@1command.com> on 2008/01/25 23:28:30 UTC

PCRE in Apache?

Greetings all,
I'm toying with the idea of using PCRE in Apache 1.3.
I see already that there is support for REGEX in the
Configuration.tmpl that permits a choice of "bundled"
or "system (if available)". But was wondering how hard,
or if even reasonable to consider adding the same option
to use System PCRE (if available) option. And if so, would
it be better in the server, or better as a module.
I see also that Apache 2+ has this already.
I would greatly appreciate any thoughts/feedback/pointers
regarding this.

Thank you for all your time and consideration in this matter.

--Chris H

--
panic: kernel trap (ignored)

Re: PCRE in Apache?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2008 5:28 PM, Chris H. <ch...@1command.com> wrote:
>> Greetings all,
>> I'm toying with the idea of using PCRE in Apache 1.3.
>> I see already that there is support for REGEX in the
>> Configuration.tmpl that permits a choice of "bundled"
>> or "system (if available)". But was wondering how hard,
>> or if even reasonable to consider adding the same option
>> to use System PCRE (if available) option. And if so, would
>> it be better in the server, or better as a module.
>> I see also that Apache 2+ has this already.
>> I would greatly appreciate any thoughts/feedback/pointers
>> regarding this.
>>
>> Thank you for all your time and consideration in this matter.
>
> Use PCRE to do what? Regular expressions are used for many different
> purposes in apache.
>
> But in general, this sounds like it would be way more difficult that
> just upgrading to a remotely recent version.

Using pcreposix.h shouldn't be that difficult.  The only thing you
have to remember is that your syntax changes, so on a richly config'ed
server, there might be some patterns that aren't evaluated as expected
with the pcre extended syntax.

We would never do it to end users in 1.3 distros because of the changes
in expectations.  The real win to 1.3 in the minds of admins is IJW.
And in a subversion bump, this wouldn't just-work for all existing conf
files out there.

Bill

Re: PCRE in Apache?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Jan 25, 2008 5:28 PM, Chris H. <ch...@1command.com> wrote:
> Greetings all,
> I'm toying with the idea of using PCRE in Apache 1.3.
> I see already that there is support for REGEX in the
> Configuration.tmpl that permits a choice of "bundled"
> or "system (if available)". But was wondering how hard,
> or if even reasonable to consider adding the same option
> to use System PCRE (if available) option. And if so, would
> it be better in the server, or better as a module.
> I see also that Apache 2+ has this already.
> I would greatly appreciate any thoughts/feedback/pointers
> regarding this.
>
> Thank you for all your time and consideration in this matter.

Use PCRE to do what? Regular expressions are used for many different
purposes in apache.

But in general, this sounds like it would be way more difficult that
just upgrading to a remotely recent version.

Joshua.