Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Abel MacAdam <ab...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/13 09:02:14 UTC

How to test Streaming media website?

Hi,

Is it possible to test a website offering a streaming media movie (like a
flash film)?

For instance, I have a website, http://www.mywebsite.org, which offers the
movie mymovie.swf.

Should I test the load by just opening http://www.mywebsite.org/mymovie.swf?

And what if the movie is half an hour long? "Watch" the movie for that half
hour? Or is the fact you could open the movie the success I'm looking for?

Abel

Re: How to test Streaming media website?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 13/03/2009, Thomas Johnson <nt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can make HTTP requests for both items. You could download the
>  movie, and ensure that all sessions finish in about an hour. You'll
>  run into some problems, though, as all of the response data is
>  generally buffered by the HTTP samplers before it is discarded. An
>  hour-long video multiplied by many connections is going to run you out
>  of memory quite quickly.

JMeter 2.3.2 allows one to save the response as an MD5 hash.
This does not buffer data.

>  On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Abel MacAdam <ab...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > Is it possible to test a website offering a streaming media movie (like a
>  > flash film)?
>  >
>  > For instance, I have a website, http://www.mywebsite.org, which offers the
>  > movie mymovie.swf.
>  >
>  > Should I test the load by just opening http://www.mywebsite.org/mymovie.swf?

That will only complete when the full contents has been sent.

If you want to check that the URL is valid, try using HEAD instead of GET.

>  > And what if the movie is half an hour long? "Watch" the movie for that half
>  > hour? Or is the fact you could open the movie the success I'm looking for?

What are you trying to prove?

Posted by Thomas Johnson <nt...@gmail.com>.