Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by James Bates <ja...@amplexor.com> on 2002/02/04 16:22:02 UTC

Developping for Xindice

Hello, I am James Bates, and have been using Xindice (ex-dbXML) for a while now for a number of XML-store related projects. I've already sent a few mails on the users list and had some replies back (thanks a lot :) ). I believe you already know a colleague of mine, Roel Hofkens.

At this moment in time, I would like to start looking more seriously at the source code of Xindice and possibly contribute to the development effort. In particular, there are some issues I'd like to see resolved: I can't seem to get xindice to handle XML files as UTF-8: it seems persistently to assume that everything is Latin-1. (Haven't managed to get any greek in the DB for instance)

Also, on the namespaces front, the getContentAsSAX method seems to omit startPrefixMapping() calls, yet includes "xmlns:xxx" attributes...

I am fully aware that there are very few of you and am very greatful for what has been achieved so far, and that is why I'd like to contribute maybe in the areas I just noted, myself, if that's ok with you guys.

Could someone give me a short introduction, or maybe point me in a general direction, as to how the source code is organized, as I must admit, I'm still a bit lost on it :) Maybe a small document exists, or maybe there's a good class you could recommend I start looking at to set me on the right track.

Anyway, thanks for any information you may be able to provide, and I hope I'll be able to contribute some meaningful efforts to the project...

Sincerely,
James Bates