Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Robert Gauthier <Ro...@adobe.com> on 2002/11/04 04:51:24 UTC

WebDAV methods

I have come accross a problem trying to handle an OPTIONS HTTP method in my
servlet.  My servlet does not get invoked when Dav Explorer uses this
method.  I have included the only posting I've been able to find as a
reference.  It was posted in April of 2000 where Remy Maucherat makes
mention that his servlet is not invoked when using the OPTIONS HTTP method.
Is this still an issue?  I seem to have the problem he refers to and I
haven't been able to find a solution.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

Rob Gauthier

To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Catalina] WebDAV methods
From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 16:22:32 -0700

----

Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Your latest patch fixed the 304 error. Static stuff now works great !!

Cool!

> Using the following mapping in the web.xml file, I'm able to load my DAV
> servlet on startup :
>   <servlet>
>     <servlet-name>webdav</servlet-name>
>     <servlet-class>org.exolab.slide.webdav.Webdav</servlet-class>
>     <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
>     <init-param>
>       <param-name>debug</param-name>
>       <param-value>99</param-value>
>     </init-param>
>   </servlet>
>
>   <!-- The mapping for the webdav servlet -->
>   <servlet-mapping>
>     <servlet-name>webdav</servlet-name>
>     <url-pattern>/dav/*</url-pattern>
>   </servlet-mapping>
>
> It works !!!! I mean : the servlet loads on startup, as expected.
> Note : I don't use the Catalina / Tomcat logging facility, but I will soon
> :-)

I just fixed a bug in the getPathInfo() that your servlet would have
received
when actually invoked.  It should work better now.

> However, in case Catalina gets a request using an OPTIONS HTTP method, my
> servlet is not invoked (although the Wrapper seems to be invoked), so DAV
> functionality though IE doesn't work yet. I'll look into that problem
later
> today, if you don't mind.

There is nothing in Catalina itself that should care about which HTTP method
was used.  There might be something inside javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet
itself that is swallowing them.  At the moment, I've left a log() call
active
inside StandardWrapperValve that will log the HTTP method and request URI
it's
using, just before calling the service() method of the servlet.  That should
help determine where the problem lies.

> You can see it working using a standard browser, though. It works with DAV
> Explorer, though.
> Go to http://24.12.46.10:8080/dav/
>
> Remy

Craig