Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/23 05:29:41 UTC

[math] Re: binomial random generator

On 10/22/11 8:15 PM, Ahmed Abdeen Hamed wrote:
> Hello friends,
>
> I am using the following code in a program I am writing:
>     private static JDKRandomGenerator rg = new JDKRandomGenerator();
>     private static RandomDataImpl randBinomial = new RandomDataImpl(rg);
>
> However, it is slowing down things very much. When I replace generator with
> a java.util.Random object it works fine without the performance issues. Is
> that expected with this library? Is there any work around? My programs are
> very time consuming and I have been repeatedly running them. I really need
> some tips if there is anything I can do to enhance the performance.

That depends on how you are using randBinomial above.  Can you share
the code that uses randBinomial and what you mean by "replace
generator with a java.util.Random object?"  It will also help to
describe what exactly you are trying to accomplish with the code.

Phil

Re: [math] Re: binomial random generator

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 8:40 PM, Ahmed Abdeen Hamed <ahmed.elmasri@gmail.com

> Thanks very much for your quick response. I am doing some simulations that
> produce probailities which are in turn must be compared to certains rates.
> Here is an example of what I am doing:
>
>  if (randBinomial.nextBinomial(1, Simulation.MRATE)==1) {
> // the condition can be replaced by the following uncommented condition
> //randM.nextDouble() < Simulation.M_RATE;

I see no need to use the fancy binomial generator here.  The place that it
becomes interesting is where n >> 1.  For your problem, what you have is
really better.

>  if (gt[i] == 0) {
>   gt[i] = 1;
>  } else {
>   gt[i] = 0;
>  }

This can probably be replaced by

    gt[i] = 1 - gt[i]

(depending on what the original contents are, that is).

Re: [math] Re: binomial random generator

Posted by Ahmed Abdeen Hamed <ah...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Phil! This was most helpful and it has gotten so much faster than
using the JDK generator. More importantly, I tried 10 experiments and they
didn't break. I have 250 experiments that they must all pass. I will let you
know if I need more assistance. For now, thank you and to everyone who
contributed to this chain!

Ahmed

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ahmed Abdeen Hamed <ah...@gmail.com>.
Hi Phil,

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Le 23/10/2011 09:47, Andy Turner a écrit :
> Hi,

Hello All,

You could also give a try to other random generators provided by Apache
Commons Math. Did you try the Well generators like Well1024a for example
? These generators are tailored towards large simulation like
Monte-Carlo ones.

Luc

Posted by Ahmed Abdeen Hamed <ah...@gmail.com>.
Hi Phil,