Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2006/10/10 10:46:06 UTC

[Ws Wiki] Update of "Tuscany/TuscanyJava/M2TasksSCA" by Venkatakrishnan

Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by Venkatakrishnan:
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/Tuscany/TuscanyJava/M2TasksSCA

New page:
== TODOs / Tasks for Milestone 2 (M2) ==
The next release of Tuscany Java SCA - Milestone-2 (M2) is tentatively planned for October.  The following is target content for M2 and its status.

=== Guidelines ===
Here are some points to help in updating information on the Release Items.
  * Every release item has four aspects(currently) and there is a status ''Completed'' / ''In Progress'' / ''To be Done'' - that is attached to each aspect.
      i. Feature / Functionality Aspect
         This lists the core features and functions of the release item and their current status
     ii. Samples Aspect
         - This lists the set of samples to demonstate the feature / functionality and its current status
         - If the item in question does not have a sample of its own, then mention if there is any other sample that includes this.  For example Component Properties do not have a sample of their own, but the container samples demonstrate them.
    iii. Documentation Aspect
         - This deals with any documentation that is to be in place to explain the feature / functionality and samples and its current status
         - If documentation related to the item in question is not substantial to stand on its own, then mention if the related documentation is going to be a part of a bigger one elsewhere.  For example there is no specific documentation planned for RMI Bindings.  The specific of this shall be added to a more general documentation on Tuscany Binding Extensions.
     iv. Block JIRAs
         This is a summar of JIRAs related to the feature / functinality and in pending state.

  * This list may not be complete.  If there are more Release Items / Sub-items to be included please do so.
  * If you must add an item or a sub-item please ensure it is also categorized either under 'Completed' or 'In Progress' status.

=== Release Items (status) ===
Here are the list of Release Items and Sub-items within each.

---------------------------
==== Host distributions ====
---------------------------
'''1. Standalone '''   - in/out? TBD
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              * Completed
                  * Boostrapping the Tuscany Runtime (loading system and application SCDLs)
              * In Progress
                  * Locating and Loading Extension Dependencies (please move this up if complete)
              * To be Done
      ''* Working Samples''
              * Completed
                  * Calculator Sample
                  * RMI Service and RMI Reference Samples
                  * HelloWorld JavaScript Sample
              * In Progress
              * To be Done
      ''* Documenation''
              * Completed
              * In Progress
              * To be Done
                   * Documentation describing the Standalone, how to install in, how it locates dependencies
      ''* Blocker JIRAs''
              *<list if any>

'''2. WAR Plug in for WebApps'''   - in/out? TBD
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              * Completed
              * In Progress
              * To be Done
      ''* Working Samples''
              * Completed
              * In Progress
              * To be Done
      ''* Documenation''
              * To be Done
      ''* Blocker JIRAs''
              *<list if any>

---------------------------
==== SCA Core ====
---------------------------
  '''1. Classloader Isolation '''   - in/out? TBD
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              * Completed:
                  * basic classloader hierarchy
              * In Progress:
                  * multi- parent support
              * To be Done
      ''* Working Samples''
              * Not Applicable
      ''* Documenation''
              * <add link or not applicable>
      ''* Blocker JIRAs''
              * <list the JIRA nos.>

  '''2. Component Properties Loading (Simple & Complex)''' - in/out? TBD
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              * Completed
                  * Simple properties
              * In Progress:
                  * Complex properties.  Data Transformation issues pending against support for complex properties (<should quote JIRAs here>)
                  * Support for XPath. Issues related to empty wrapper element around property documents <quote JIRAs>
      ''* Working Samples''
              * Completed
                  * Samples included in Java, JavaScript, Ruby containers demonstrate simple properties
      ''* Documention''
              * To be Done
      ''* Blocking JIRAs?''
              * <list the JIRA nos.>

  '''3. Integration of databinding framework'''
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              * Completed
                  * as part of the "core" including the framework imeplementation and a set of built-in XML-related transformers. The interfaces and base classes are now in "spi" for extensibility.
              * In Progress
                  * None
              * To be Done
                  * None
      ''* Working samples?''
              * Completed:
                  * echo.databinding
                  * helloworldwsclient and helloworldws which also demonstrate the integration of databinding framework and axis2 with SDO and AXIOM.
      ''* Documentation''
              * In Progress
                  * A draft slide is uploaded to http://wiki.apache.org/ws/Tuscany/TuscanyJava/SCA_Java/DataMediation
      ''* Blocking JIRAs?''
              * <list the JIRA nos.>

  '''4. Async callbacks''' - in/out? TBD
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              * Completed
              * In Progress
                  * Client side?
                  * Server side?
                  * Over webservices:
                       - The async client with callback works with sync ws over http two-way connection based on some assumptions which requires the spec to well define the interaction patterns.
                       - The async ws works to get the request, dispatch to the target component and make the callback. Yet to figure out how the axis2 interacts with the client with the response from the component callback.
      ''* Working samples?''
              * In Progress
                  * helloworldwsclient-async
                  * helloworldws-async
      ''* Documentation''
              * <add link or state this is not applicable>
      ''* Blocking JIRAs?''
              * <list the JIRA nos.>

  '''5. Transitive dependency support''' - in/out? TBD
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              * <scenario 1 and its status>
              * <scenario 2 and its status>

      ''* Working samples?''
      ''* Documentation''
      ''* Blocking JIRAs?''

---------------------------
==== SCA Extension: Bindings ====
---------------------------
  '''1. idl.wsdl '''  - in/out? TBD
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              * Completed
                  * supported with wsdlLocation
              * In Progress
                  * no support yet via registry (is it needed?)
      ''* Working samples''
              * <List of samples>
      ''* Documentation''
              * <add link or state this is not applicable>
      ''* Blocking JIRAs''
              * <list the JIRA nos.>

  '''2. binding.rmi ''' - in/out? TBD
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              * Completed
                  * Component Services as RMI Servers
                  * Component References as RMI Clients
      ''* Working samples''
              * Completed
                  * A RMI Service Sample that can run in Standalone.  Has supporting README file for setup and running.
      ''* Documentation''
              * In Progress
                  * To be added to general documentation on binding extensions.
      ''* Blocking JIRAs?''
              * None

  '''3. binding.axis '''  - in/out? TBD
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              * <?>
              * Interop test status?
      ''* Working samples''
              * <List of samples>
      ''* Documentation''
              * <add link or state this is not applicable>
      ''* Blocking JIRAs?''
              * <list the JIRA nos.>

  '''4. binding.cletix''' - in/out? TBD
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              * <?>
      ''* Working samples''
              * <List of samples>
      ''* Documentation''
              * <add link or state this is not applicable>
      ''* Blocking JIRAs?''
              * <list the JIRA nos.>

  '''4. binding.Jsonrpc''' - in/out? TBD
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              * <?>
      ''* Working samples''
              * <List of samples>
      ''* Documentation''
              * <add link or state this is not applicable>
      ''* Blocking JIRAs?''
              * <list the JIRA nos.>
---------------------------
==== SCA Extension: Data Binding ====
---------------------------
  '''1. databinding.axiom''' - in/out? TBD
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              * <?>
      ''* Working samples?''
      ''* Documentation''
              * <add link or state this is not applicable>
      ''* Blocking JIRAs?''
              * <list the JIRA nos.>

  '''2. databinding.sdo''' - in/out? TBD
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              * <?>
      ''* Working samples''
              * <List of samples>
      ''* Documentation''
              * <add link or state this is not applicable>
      ''* Blocking JIRAs?''
              * <list the JIRA nos.>

  '''3. databinding.jaxb''' - in/out? TBD
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              * <?>
      ''* Working samples?''
              * <List of samples>
      ''* Documentation''
              * <add link or state this is not applicable>
      ''* Blocking JIRAs?''
              * <list the JIRA nos.>
---------------------------
==== SCA Extension: Container ====
---------------------------
  '''1. JavaScript'''    - in/out? TBD
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              * Completed
                  * Properties, Services, References, E4X
              * In Progress
                  * Integration with DataBinding facility to replace the data transformations currently handled by the container itself
                  * Async
      ''* Working samples''
              * Completed
                  * Helloworld Sample
      ''* Documentation''
              * In Progress
                  * To contribute into a general documentation on Container Extensions (yet to start)
      ''* Blocking JIRAs?''
              * None

  '''2. Spring'''    - in/out? TBD
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              *<features>
      ''* Working samples''
              * <List of samples>
      ''* Documentation''
              * <add link or state this is not applicable>
      ''* Blocking JIRAs?''
              * <list the JIRA nos.>

  '''3. Ruby'''    - in/out? TBD
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              * Completed
                  * Properties, Services, References
              * In Progress
                  * Integration with DataBinding facility to replace the data transformations currently handled by the container itself
      ''* Working samples''
              * In Progress
              * Completed
      ''* Documentation''
              * In Progress
                  * To contribute into a general documentation on Container Extensions (yet to start)
      ''* Blocking JIRAs?''
              * None

---------------------------
==== SCA Tools ====
---------------------------
  '''1. Java2WSDL'''    - in/out? TBD
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              * Completed
                  * Command line invocation
                  * Runtime inovcation
                  * Maven Plugin
                  * Support for SDO types (requires SDO Impl as dependency)
      ''* Working samples''
              * Completed
                  * Samples as part of the Unit Testcases
     ''* Documentation''
              * None
     ''* Blocking JIRAs
              * None

  '''2. WSDL2Java'''    - in/out? TBD
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              * Completed
                  * Command line invocation
                  * Maven Plugin
      ''* Working samples''
              * Completed
                  * Samples as part of the Unit Testcases
     ''* Documentation''
              * None
     ''* Blocking JIRAs
              * None

---------------------------
==== Documenation ====
---------------------------
  '''1. Tuscany Extensions Architecture'''    - in/out? TBD
      ''* Feature / Functionality''
              * To be Done
                  * Bindings
                      * Axis2, RMI
                  * Containters
                      * Java, JavaScript, Ruby, Groovy

  '''2. Tuscany DataBinding Architecture'''    - in/out? TBD
  '''3. Tuscany Applcation Programming Model''' - in/out? TBD

---------------------------
==== Samples ====
---------------------------
  '''1. BigBank'''    - in/out? TBD
      ''* Demonstrated Feature / Functionality''
               * Completed
                   * Java Component Implementations (using properties, references)
                   * SCA Composite Implementation
               * In Progress
                   * WS Reference Inovication using Axis2 Bindings
      ''* Documentation''
               * To be Done
                   * Document explaining the setup and running of the sample
      ''* Blocking JIRAs''

  '''2. Calculator Combo'''    - in/out? TBD
      ''* Demonstrated Feature / Functionality''
               * Completed
                   * Java Component Implementations (using properties, references)
                   * JavaScript Component Implementations
                   * Ruby Component Implementations
                   * RMI Bindings Extensions for service and reference
                   * SCA Composite Implementation
               * In Progress
                   * WS Reference Inovication using Axis2 Bindings
      ''* Documentation''
               * To be Done
                   * Document explaining the setup and running of the sample
      ''* Blocking JIRAs''

Old Status - ignore for now
sync is working, async in progress -
       ''* Working Status''
''* Working Status''
        * ''Ant Elder : '' For the Axis2 Web service binding
            * support 0.96 spec
            * move to AXIS2 1.1 (if they get the release out soon)
              *''Jeremy : '' We can't release with the current SNAPSHOT dependency (as SNAPSHOTs are not reproducible). I hope they get this done in time (progress looks good with AXIOM and XmlSchema being released) but if it looks like it will slip we need to decide whether to hold our release or to cut our own known-revision version (not really a good option).
            * interop testing
            * sort out WSDL usage with registry/interface.wsdl/binding.ws

    * binding.celtix:

    ''Q: where are we?''

    * binding.rmi:

    ''Q: is this working? complete?''
        * ''Venkat : ''Yes, this is working.  Will include some more testcases to improve coverage.
    ''Updates''
        ''(Venkat - Oct 8th)'' : Have included a few more testcases (with Ant's help) and a helloworld sample to demonstrate RMI services and reference over Tuscany Java SCA standalone.

    * databinding.axiom: assuming this is complete
        * ''Raymond Feng : ''Yes, as a staging statement, we can transform OMElement to XMLStreamReader and vice versa. Other databindings such as SDO, JAXB or XMLBeans have been supported by multi-hop transformations.

    * databinding.sdo:

    ''Q: is this complete? anything left to do on TypeHelpers?''
        * ''Raymond Feng : ''For dynamic SDO, I think it's complete. We have a dependency on the SDO feature required by JIRA TUSCANY-684/226 to support generated SDO classes in different scopes.

    * databinding.jaxb:

    ''Q: where are we?''
        * ''Raymond Feng : ''4 transformers have been implemented, we need some more testing and integration efforts here.

    * container.javascript:

    ''Q: where are we?''

    * container.spring:

    ''Q: where are we?''

        * ''Ant Elder : " For Script languages I'd like to get done ...
            *JavaScript, Ruby, maybe Python and/or BSF
            *JavaScript/E4X with the databinding framework
            *JavaScript/E4X tidy up the xml instance support
            *Async in all languages
            *references in all languages
            *properties in all languages (if property support gets finished in runtime)
            *document all languages on website/wiki (hopefully C++ guys can help with this)
            *interop testing with C++ runtime if possibl
    ''Updates''
        * ''(Venkat - Oct 8th)'' : JavaScript and RubyScript containers are complete for services, properties and references.

==== Optional extensions ====
    * binding.jsonrpc -

    ''Q: in or out?''
        * ''Luciano Resende : '' I was planning to take a look at that, but working on BigBank first...no big feelings about going in or out...
        * ''Bert Lamb : ''For what it is worth I am getting started looking more at the jsonrpc binding and attempting to make it more Dojo friendly and hopefully being able to make it support references.  So I guess the question is, do we want to pull it into the M2 release if I may be making potentially significant changes to it.

    * binding.osgi -

    ''Q: in or out?''

    * databinding.xmlbeans -

    ''Q: in or out?''

    * databinding.castor -

    ''Q: in or out?''
        * ''Raymond Feng : ''Several transformers have been implemented, we need some more testing and integration efforts here.

    * container.groovy -

    ''Q: in or out?''

    * any other bindings or containers to be in?
        * ''Venkat : ''Will need Ant's perspective on including 'Ruby'.   A functional version of
it is already available in the SVN repository.

==== Host distributions ====
    * Standalone -

    ''Q: which extensions should be in?''

    * Web -

    ''Q: do we still need this now we have the war plugin?''

    * WAR Plugin -

    ''Q: do we need web.xml editing?''

==== Sample applications ====

  * ''samples/BigBank (in progress)''
    ''Q: do we have the right ones? are there any we don't need? what is the form for these in the release - bundled as source, separate bundle?

    ''Q: BigBank application - any progress? when will it be ready? do we hold the release or post it later?''
        * ''Luciano Resende : ''Looks like bigbank can be deployed to TC, but if you try to use it's ui, you can't even login. I'm working on getting the bigbank-account module working with DAS and testing torugh it's internal dbInit servlet as there is no available UI at the moment... When I'm done with this part, I can try helping on the ui side (SCA integration)
        * ''Ant Elder : ''There's also work that needs to be done for the all the samples and distribution stuff that i'd like to help with once we work out what they should look like.
        * ''cr22rc : ''With regards to BigBank we've really just started bring up. Found these issues so far: Bug TUSCANY-739 WSDL binding is missing META-INF/sca/default.scdl Bug TUSCANY-738 tuscany war plugin and default runtime location of extensions seem to be out of sync Bug TUSCANY-737 Adding extensions to tuscany war pluging results in non - intialized webapp This was not found by BB but I think it will affect it.  Bug TUSCANY-735 Interop testcases - mixed content not supported error.

  * ''sca/services/bindings/binding.rmi/src/samples (complete)''
        * Standalone sample for RMI Service and RMI Reference complete.

==== Other areas ====
    * SDO distribution - are we ready? where are we with samples, doco, legal review?
        A release candidate RC1a is available on http://people.apache.org/~kelvingoodson/sdo_java/RC1a/  It is not yet ready for final release.  It has an EMF snapshot dependency currently (2.2.1 should be ready before end of September). I haven't worked out how to get the project status document in place in the distro files yet. There are a number of other small issues. I'm cutting a branch and will cut a tag when all issues are resolved.

    * DAS distribution -

    ''Q: are we ready? where are we with samples, doco, legal review?''
        * ''Luciano Resende : ''Had couples fixes that went in last week :  Tuscany-441 / Tuscany-725 After legal review, found couple issues and waiting for someone to commit TUSCANY-726.  After that should be done...

    * SCA distribution - doco? legal?

    * Release Documentation
        * ''Yang ZHONG : ''I can help with the Release Documentation.

    * Website - are we generally happy with the site? is anyone planning on working to update the site for M2 content?
        *''Venkat : ''Will look up the website and check for things to be done and the help in getting that up.

==== Specs ====
    '''Targeted Features'''
        * SNAPSHOTs have been posted to the Apache repo.

    ''Q: are there any changes to SDO pending? Are we happy with the version there?''
        * ''Frank Budinsky : ''The SDO api changes were committed in revision 442403. I think that may be after the snapshot was taken. On the dependencies issue, we need to upgrade EMF to the 2.2.1 release
version. I believe that it's going to be published this week.