Posted to dev@buildstream.apache.org by Tristan Van Berkom <tr...@codethink.co.uk> on 2022/04/25 08:44:28 UTC

Proposal for initial API stable Beta release

Hi,

   All of the outstanding issues on the milestone[0] which came out of
our last meeting[1] have been take care of, including removing the last
plugins out of the buildstream repository and adding them to the new
buildstream-plugins[2] repository (which also includes the plugins we
agreed to add from other repositories such as bst-plugins-container and
bst-plugins-experimental).

As such, I propose that we declare the API to be stable, and make an
initial beta release of buildstream & buildstream-plugins to signify
this API stability cutoff.

After this, we still have some road to travel to assist the
freedesktop-sdk project to migrate[3] to BuildStream 2, which will be a
great help in assisting us to find and fix any remaining issue before
we can finally reach a formal BuildStream 2.0 release, for which we've
already created another milestone[4].

This email is a sanity check:

 * Have we missed any critical issues which must be fixed and cannot
   be fixed without breaking API ?

 * Are there any reasons to delay declaring the API surfaces for
   BuildStream (and buildstream-plugins) as stable ?

So long as there are no reasons to block this, I will be looking into
how the release process should work within our new home at Apache and
hopefully we can get passed this important milestone soon.

Cheers,
    -Tristan

[0]: https://github.com/apache/buildstream/milestone/2
[1]: https://lists.apache.org/thread/d7fgbdnfx62b4v1mz8g8qq56ohm3kjmz
[2]: https://github.com/apache/buildstream-plugins
[3]: https://gitlab.com/freedesktop-sdk/freedesktop-sdk/-/issues/1383
[4]: https://github.com/apache/buildstream/milestone/3

Re: Proposal for initial API stable Beta release

Posted by Tristan Van Berkom <tr...@codethink.co.uk>.
Hi again,

As you will have noticed here[0], after a long wait I've decided to go
ahead with releasing the beta, which signifies that BuildStream 2 is
now stable.

My rationale here is that the project can no longer be held hostage to
the wheels of bureaucracy and ambiguity of whether we can manage to
follow the guidelines to roll a proper official Apache release.

I think we should continue to iron out the process such that our
releases can be recognized as "official" in terms of proper Apache
process, in parallel, and in the meantime we should not be blocked from
functioning as a project until this is sorted.

Cheers,
    -Tristan

[0]: https://lists.apache.org/thread/fm5sob2r93vrcgocg0k1lzz60kfoc63h

Posted by Tristan Van Berkom <tr...@codethink.co.uk>.