Posted to log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org by Andreas Fester <An...@gmx.de> on 2005/09/14 10:07:15 UTC

Re: Compiler option changes (and other patches)

Hi Josh,

Josh Clark wrote:
> Hopefully this is the correct forum to post this. I'm new to the cvs/patch
> thing, so let me know if there's a better way to do this...

First, thanks for the patches. I have integrated the Compiler option
changes and the ODBC stuff in my daily build at http://www.littletux.net/log4cxx
It would be good if you could use the .tar.gz file provided there,
because it already contains some additional patches which are not
in CVS yet. I usually unpack the tar.gz file twice, once in a
directory like log4cxx-0.9.8.orig and once in log4cxx-0.9.8 in
which I make my modifications then, and then create the patches
with "diff -urN log4cxx-0.9.8.orig log4cxx-0.9.8". This will become
better again once the patches are all committed in CVS :-)

Regarding the ODBC stuff: I modified build.xml so that the odbc
appender is disabled by default, and can be enabled by passing
-Dwith.odbc=1 to ant (see "ant usage"). I have not tested it yet,
would be great if you could do this.

Regarding the MySQL appender: Sounds cool, but needs more work,
because it includes some windows specific files like winsock.h.
I have therefore not added it to the daily build yet.

In any case, please submitt a bug report at
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10550
and attach your patch, then click that you donate the patch to Apache.
It will then become easier to commit it to the CVS :-)

Thanks & Best Regards,

	Andreas

--
Andreas Fester
mailto:andreas@littletux.net

Re: Compiler option changes (and other patches)

Posted by Andreas Fester <An...@gmx.de>.

Re: Compiler option changes (and other patches)

Posted by Josh Clark <id...@gmail.com>.
For the PDB changes to the build files...

For aprutil-build.xml, the following line

<compilerarg value="${compiler_args}" if="compiler_args"/>

needs to be changed to

<compilerarg value="${pdb-option}" if="pdb-option"/>

Posted by Andreas Fester <An...@gmx.de>.
Josh Clark wrote:
> The current version from littletux.net <http://littletux.net> has the PDB
> change in it twice. This first time is too early (the lib.dir directory
> isn't set yet.
>
> see line 339 of build.xml.
>
> <!-- For MS VC++, set a specific PDB file -->
> <condition property="pdb-option" value="/Fd${log4cxx.lib.dir}/log4cxx.pdb">
> <equals arg1="${compiler}" arg2="msvc"/>
> </condition>
Thanks, I will fix it.

> Also, apr now has 1.2.2. I don't need the patch file but I do error out the
> first time through since there is no patch file for that version. The next
> build is fine because apr has already been unzipped.
Wow, they are really fast. I changed the version in my daily build to
1.2.1 just a few days ago, and was able to build on Linux and MS Windows.
Not sure if the patch is still necessary, but I think we should switch to
1.2.2 then.

Thanks & best Regards,

	Andreas

Posted by Andreas Fester <An...@gmx.de>.

Re: Compiler option changes (and other patches)

Posted by Josh Clark <id...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

I was trying to use your daily build, but had some issues...

1. The websites for apr do not have apr 1.1.0 anymore. I had to use the ones
I had downloaded previously.

2. The patch file apr-1.1.0.patch seems corrupt (at least on windows). It
looks the same as the one I had from CVS, but the build has issues running
the patch (and stops patching). I replaced the file with the one I had from
CVS and eveyrthing worked.

josh

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

Try navigating in from http://issues.apache.org/jira.

> Also, are you saying I should submit all three changes? As separate
> bugs/enhancements?

If the issues are independent, please submit them as independent bug
reports and independent patches.  Please check the box that states
that you are donating the code to Apache for integration into the
code base.

Re: Compiler option changes (and other patches)

Posted by Josh Clark <id...@gmail.com>.
Maybe I'm just dense, but when I try to submit a bug report, the only
project available is Cocoon 2. Am I missing something?

Also, are you saying I should submit all three changes? As separate
bugs/enhancements?

I realize the MySql appender is windows only right now. I just don't have
access to a Linux box at the moment

Posted by Andreas Fester <An...@gmx.de>.

Re: Compiler option changes (and other patches)

Posted by Josh Clark <id...@gmail.com>.
Sorry. One more thing...

You are missing outputdebugstringappender.cpp in the src directory for your
daily build.