Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/14 08:56:02 UTC

Implementation.jpa and other data access efforts

I have started reviewing and adding implementation.jpa [1] to Tuscany
SVN. I was wondering how would that relate to the other efforts being
done related to data access, and if we should align this to the same
direction. Maybe we could have something like :

   - implementation-data-xml
   - implementation-data-sdo
   - implementation-data-pojo / jpa

Thoughts ?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1903

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer

Re: Implementation.jpa and other data access efforts

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 14, 2007 6:34 AM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2007 7:56 AM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have started reviewing and adding implementation.jpa [1] to Tuscany
> > SVN. I was wondering how would that relate to the other efforts being
> > done related to data access, and if we should align this to the same
> > direction. Maybe we could have something like :
> >
> >   - implementation-data-xml
> >   - implementation-data-sdo
> >   - implementation-data-pojo / jpa
> >
> > Thoughts ?
> >

> > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1903
> >
> > --
> > Luciano Resende
> > Apache Tuscany Committer
> > http://people.apache.org/~lresende <http://people.apache.org/%7Elresende>
> > http://lresende.blogspot.com/

> > Hi Luciano
>
> On the face of it it sounds like a good idea.
>
> Is there some abstraction at the implementation-data level. I expect (but
> don't know) that these implementation types will all be providing access to
> data in various forms. The current implementation-data provides a CRUD style
> interface. Implementation.openjpa seems to favour persist, find, createQuery
> etc. What will xml and sdo be providing?
>
> Simon

The current implementation-openjpa is exposing the JPA EntityManager
and from that point, the developer is exposed to all the JPA API to
handle the data crud operations. I think there is room for
improvements here, were we could abstract the JPA API as an
implementation detail of a implementation-data-pojo / jpa, that would
use the JPA api's under the covers.

Thoughts ?

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.