Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org> on 2007/03/20 19:55:50 UTC

keeping old doc versions

Hi,

While deleting old releases from the distribution directory, the question
raised what should be done with the old docs. Thomas V has already
expressed that in his opinion, the old site versions should be removed. In
my opinion, however, they should be preserved for the following reason:
>From the uers list, there are still some people using the old versions. As
the docs cannot be downloaded from archive.apache.org(docs are not
included in the source), the only access to old docs is to check out the
svn source and building the docs themselves, which I'd consider a
nuisance.
The downside of keeping the old docs is that the information given there
may be obsolete or incorrect, e.g. about cvs access (I have manually
changed the download info, but doing this for every infra change in all
the archived sites is not feasible in my opinion). However, I'd guess
that people understand that this kind of information may no longer be
valid in an archived site.

Any other opinions ?

    Thomas

RE: keeping old doc versions

Posted by Greg Monroe <Gr...@DukeCE.com>.
Sounds like a good plan, that probably works out
about the same as mine.

FWIW, wget is a GNU "non-interactive network
retriever" that's been around for years.  (I used
the Cygwin version).

This is designed to "grab" info from the Internet
and create a local copy.  The one thing that it
adds to the mix is how it handles some required
files.  E.g., it will grab required images/style
sheets from the same site but outside the specified
URL and move it into the directory and rewrite the
URL's in the retreived HTML pages.

Makes a nice quick way to get a "snapshot" of
a section of an online site.

Duke CE Privacy Statement
Please be advised that this e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential communication or may otherwise be privileged or confidential and are intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient you may not rely on the contents of this email or any attachments, and we ask that you  please not read, copy or retransmit this communication, but reply to the sender and destroy the email, its contents, and all copies thereof immediately.  Any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

RE: keeping old doc versions

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.

RE: keeping old doc versions

Posted by Greg Monroe <Gr...@DukeCE.com>.