Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Luca Passani <pa...@eunet.no> on 2006/03/17 00:39:18 UTC

JSTL-EL question (instanceOf)

Hi

here is my problem today. I am dealing with an API that I have not
written and that is not very object oriented.

I have a list of objects that have no common super class (or better,
they have Object).
In my JSP, which I would love to keep scriptlets-free, I need to loop
through the list and treat each object differently depending on the
type. Is there a way to do instanceOf using EL?

<c:forEach var="item"  items="${content_list}">
 <c:if test="${item.instanceOf(MySpecialClass)}">
    render my special class
 </c:if>
   :

it should work on the same version of JSP supported by Tomcat 4 (1.2 if
my memory doesn't fail me).

Thanks

Luca

Re: JSTL-EL question (instanceOf)

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 3/16/06, Luca Passani <pa...@eunet.no> wrote:

> Martin Cooper wrote:
>

> >Not with just EL, but see:
> >

> http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/sandbox/doc/unstandard-doc/index.html#instanceOf
> >

> that seems powerful. Thanks. Is there an example of usage somewhere?
> how do I combine this with <c:if test>?

Dunno. Sorry. I haven't used it, I just knew it was there. ;-)

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Luca Passani <pa...@eunet.no>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.