Posted to triplesoup-dev@incubator.apache.org by David Reid <da...@jetnet.co.uk> on 2007/04/09 09:44:22 UTC

Copyright for donated files

I assume that when I commit donated files into the code/trunk directory
the copyright headers should reflect the asf? Do I leave the existing
copyright headers in place or remove them?

I'm trying to avoid having to have another commit shortly after the
initial one to correct this! :-)

david

Re: Copyright for donated files

Posted by David Reid <da...@jetnet.co.uk>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> On Apr 9, 2007, at 11:44 AM, David Reid wrote:
>> I assume that when I commit donated files into the code/trunk directory
>> the copyright headers should reflect the asf?
>
> yes! Or rather, we need the new-style headers, which isn't really a
> copyright header...eg, see
>

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/triplesoup/code/trunk/release.sh

Ah, OK.

>> Do I leave the existing
>> copyright headers in place or remove them?
>
> Remove any headers you added yourself please. You can add text to the
> NOTICE file for things like "initial code by" credits if you want.

Right.

> A joost employee will remove the ones that may still linger around on
> the joost code (just seems extra-safe to me).
>
> Don't worry about moving things that still have the wrong copyright
> headers, as long as you use svn mv/cp its easily found/fixed/merged.

In that case I'll simply commit what I have and people can go from there.

Re: the commit messages, I haven't committed anything yet as I've been
waiting for an answer to this issue! I'll do it this am :-)

Posted by Alberto Reggiori <al...@asemantics.com>.
On 10 Apr 2007, at 21:07, Leo Simons wrote:

> On Apr 10, 2007, at 8:59 AM, Mads Toftum wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 08:48:41AM +0200, Leo Simons wrote:
>>> Isn't legal crap fun :-) (*)
>>>
>> While we're at it - afaik the grant for RDFStore has been
>> recorded, but
>> I see no code yet...
>
> we have (in grants.txt)...
>
> Zavisa Bjelogrli, CEO / Representing Asemantics SRL
>    "RDFStrore-0.51.tar.gz" - a triple store for RDF data...
>
> Dirk-Willem van Gulik / Representing Self
>    "RDFStore-0.51.tar.gz (md5 ....)"
>
> we're missing a similar entry from Alberto (representing self).

I did fax the signed paper 2 weeks ago already (after our last email
thread - and notified you so) - now not sure what happened on the
other end

> We had some miscommunication in private e-mail on exactly which
> form to send where, so it took a rather long time to get that
> submitted (I think you did get this fax out eventually, right Albe?).

yes indeed I did send the fax

> I hope it will be in the next batch of faxes Jim processes. I also
> hope we'll finally get some paid admin support at the ASF to
> process these faxes more regularly :/

pls let me know if I need to re-do it tomorrow

cheers

Alberto

Re: Copyright for donated files

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Apr 10, 2007, at 8:59 AM, Mads Toftum wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 08:48:41AM +0200, Leo Simons wrote:
>> Isn't legal crap fun :-) (*)
>>
> While we're at it - afaik the grant for RDFStore has been recorded,
> but
> I see no code yet...

we have (in grants.txt)...

Zavisa Bjelogrli, CEO / Representing Asemantics SRL
    "RDFStrore-0.51.tar.gz" - a triple store for RDF data...

Dirk-Willem van Gulik / Representing Self
    "RDFStore-0.51.tar.gz (md5 ....)"

we're missing a similar entry from Alberto (representing self). We
had some miscommunication in private e-mail on exactly which form to
send where, so it took a rather long time to get that submitted (I
think you did get this fax out eventually, right Albe?). I hope it
will be in the next batch of faxes Jim processes. I also hope we'll
finally get some paid admin support at the ASF to process these faxes
more regularly :/

- Leo

Re: Copyright for donated files

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 08:48:41AM +0200, Leo Simons wrote:
> Isn't legal crap fun :-) (*)

While we're at it - afaik the grant for RDFStore has been recorded, but
I see no code yet...

vh

Mads Toftum
--
http://soulfood.dk

Re: Copyright for donated files

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Apr 9, 2007, at 11:44 AM, David Reid wrote:
> I assume that when I commit donated files into the code/trunk
> directory
> the copyright headers should reflect the asf?

yes! Or rather, we need the new-style headers, which isn't really a
copyright header...eg, see

   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/triplesoup/code/trunk/
release.sh

> Do I leave the existing
> copyright headers in place or remove them?

Remove any headers you added yourself please. You can add text to the
NOTICE file for things like "initial code by" credits if you want.

A joost employee will remove the ones that may still linger around on
the joost code (just seems extra-safe to me).

Don't worry about moving things that still have the wrong copyright
headers, as long as you use svn mv/cp its easily found/fixed/merged.

> I'm trying to avoid having to have another commit shortly after the
> initial one to correct this! :-)

Isn't legal crap fun :-) (*)

cheers,

Leo