Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/01 01:57:43 UTC

[1.2.9] how do dtd changes get done?

The recent CANCEL bugfix saw a change to the struts-config.xml: a
cancellable property was added. When this is used as <action
cancellable="true"... >, you get errors (though they're really
warnings) from the DTD verification in Digester:

***********
Feb 28, 2006 4:27:59 PM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester error
SEVERE: Parse Error at line 35 column 39: Attribute "cancellable" must
be declared for element type "action".
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Attribute "cancellable" must be
declared for element type "action".
***********

This is because the dtd of the exercise/struts-config.xml document is:

"http://struts.apache.org/dtds/struts-config_1_2.dtd"

(The validator/struts-config.xml is fine as it uses set-property).

As part of my job to support legacy versions of Struts,  I'm preparing
a 1.2.7-2 release for our customers, so a) wanted to mention that this
will be a problem with the forthcoming 1.2.9 Struts release and b)
wanted to ask if anyone has any thoughts on how that is typically
solved.

Does the 1_2 dtd just get updated with the new bit? Is it something
that users should just ignore until they get to 1.3?

Currently I'll just be recommending the set-property approach :)

Hen

Re: [1.2.9] how do dtd changes get done?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Doh. Time for a forward from gmail to the work account for any svn
commits with the branch name in the subject :)

I don't think you missed anything, thanks for the info.

Hen

Posted by Paul Benedict <pa...@yahoo.com>.
Henri,

The Struts 1.2 will not be updated. The "cancellable" attribute
is only for the 1.3 DTD, but this will not prevent you from using it.
Almost all major elements accept the <set-property> tag, which is nothing
more than a long-handed way of setting an attribute. So when you're
using 1.2.x, do this:

<action ....>
  <set-property property="cancellable" value="true"/>
</action>

Paul