Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Visuvasam, Rohan" <Ro...@numarasoftware.com> on 2011/02/17 19:00:20 UTC

Integrating Tomcat with Apache/IIS

Hi all,

I'm working on a project to deploy Tomcat with our software, and my primary responsibility is the installer/installation process.  I've found a lot of good documentation on how to install Tomcat, and how to link it to either Apache or IIS.  I can't seem to find any documentation on _why_ to do that though.

Maybe the question is something that should be handled on a case-by-case basis, and that is why there is no information about it.  From what I can tell the points break down as follows:

1)  Running Tomcat as a standalone server requires client (browser) access to the port and interface.  This could result in a very "expensive" process of getting clearance to open a new port on the host's firewall, etc etc.

2)  Running Tomcat as an integrated part of the web server avoids the need for having outside access to the Tomcat server.  Tomcat instead opens an AJP port (on the loopback interface for example) and communicates to the web server using that port.

Is this the only real difference between the two, or are there other pros and cons that I'm not considering.  Thanks in advance for any feedback/comments offered.

-Rohan Visuvasam

Re: Integrating Tomcat with Apache/IIS

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> I was searching through Google, but I'm guessing I was either using the wrong search term or it wasn't indexed.

It might be useful to know that the archives of this mailing list are
mentioned at
http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users

It is usually easier to search an archive directly where it has search
feature (or limit Google search to a site), to avoid seeing N copies
of each message.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Posted by "Visuvasam, Rohan" <Ro...@numarasoftware.com>.