Posted to common-commits@hadoop.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2007/03/14 02:41:15 UTC

[Lucene-hadoop Wiki] Update of "Bigtable&Sawzall" by udanax

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lucene-hadoop Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by udanax:
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/Bigtable%26Sawzall

- '''Contributor : [wiki:udanax Udanax]'''
+ deleted

- == Contents List ==
-
-  * [#BigTable_Overview BigTable Overview]
-  * [#BigTable_Features BigTable Features]
-  * [#Fact_Table_Conceptual Fact Table Data Conceptual]
-  * [#Distributed_Parallel_Analysis Distributed & Parellel Analysis with Sawzall]
-  * [#comments Comments]
-
- ----
- [[Anchor(BigTable_Overview)]]
- == BigTable Overview ==
-
- '''What is a BigTable?'''
-
- BigTable is a multi-dimensional, sparse map storage with its focus on DFS’s massive data storage and easier data analysis and development. It could also be defined as a distributed database that is more economical than traditional large databases that allows faster analysis on more diverse data. It does not manage every pre-calculation but it stores data in a distributed way with a structure that allows distributed computation.
-
-
- '''Why do we need it?'''
-
-  * The amount of data is enormous and it grows exponentially. On top of the simple storage needs, we would like to do some data analysis as well.
-  * We want our DB to be light-weight. We want our DB to adopt to the ever-changing needs and requirements of new services.
-
- '''Conclusion''' : We want to extract more value out of a company’s data by providing more availability and usability when the company’s needs arise.
-
-
- '''An usage example of BigTable – User action log data table for a service'''
-
- To help make a business decision, to find a way to meet the need of each customer, or to find a product or a market that will bring big profits, we group together action logs of users and create a User Table like the one below.
-
- '''''row [ user ], attribute columns [ search history, item buying log, post scrap log, Page Viewing log, User neighborhood (blog), User active part (cafe) ]'''''
-
- If we select two columns, the fact table in the above schema can be represented in a two-dimensional table.
-
- [http://mirror.udanax.org/~udanax/rsync1/download/NB_BoardData_006002/Figure1.jpg]
-
-
- Who referred to document A?. What other documents do they also like?. What does a user who actively participates in a online community X like to search?. Who are the neighbors of this blog’s author?. What are social distances between them?
-
- By finding out where new markets are being formed by managing and analyzing those user-related data, we can analyze the evolution of services faster and more economically.
-
- ----
- [[Anchor(BigTable_Features)]]
- == BigTable Feature ==
-
-
- ----
- [[Anchor(Fact_Table_Conceptual)]]
- == Fact Table Data Conceptual ==
-
-
- ----
- [[Anchor(Distributed_Parallel_Analysis)]]
- == Distributed & Parellel Analysis with Sawzall ==
-
-
- ----
- [[Anchor(comments)]]
- == Comments ==
-
- ----
-
- I am not sure why this is being discussed outside the [wiki:Hbase Hbase] portion of the Wiki. Hbase is intended to be a Bigtable clone, and, in fact, Sawzall is a part of the project and there is a place holder for it on the [wiki:Hbase/HbaseArchitecture  Hbase Architecture] page. --JimKellerman
-
-   ''Thank you for commenting JimKellerman. The reason is.. First, Now i'm getting exercise for the Wiki. i'm unskilled. :-) and Second.. May be, We can think about BigTable differently. So, I can't rashly changing [wiki:Hbase Hbase]. But finally, I wanna be linking to [wiki:Hbase Hbase] and editing with collaboration from members. We will work together soon.''
-
-    Is there some aspect of Hbase that you feel will make it unsuitable for your application? The Hbase goal is to be as faithful to the Bigtable design as possible. If there is an issue with Hbase, please discuss it on in the [wiki:Self:Hbase/HbaseArchitecture#comments Hbase Architecture Comments section]. -- JimKellerman
-
-   ''By the way... I have a one question. How can i center-align embedded-image?'' --[wiki:udanax Udanax]
-
-    Sorry, I don't know the answer to that. Wiki is intended to be pretty simple and provides limited formatting options. I have used other software that permits more advanced formatting (TWiki). -- JimKellerman
-