Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com> on 2012/04/06 01:56:41 UTC

Pax Web Extender

We are running a system based on ServiceMix 4.4.1 and have run into an
issue deploying Apache Solr 3.5.0. When we deploy we get the following
error:

15:41:41,973 | ERROR | l Console Thread | WebXmlObserver
| 96 - org.ops4j.pax.web.pax-web-extender-war - 1.0.7 | Could not parse
web.xml
org.ops4j.lang.NullArgumentException: Servlet class is null.

After some research it is because in their web.xml they have this servlet
definition:

  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>ping</servlet-name>
    <jsp-file>/admin/ping.jsp</jsp-file>
  </servlet>

The error was due to it missing a servlet-class field (PAX assumed every
servlet should have a servlet-class). This is a known issue with PAX and is
documented with a bug [1] and is fixed in version 1.1.2. Are there any
plans to upgrade Karaf to support a newer version of Pax-web prior to 3.0?

I did see the issue that this is resolved for 3.0 [2]

Thanks,
Chris

[1] http://team.ops4j.org/browse/PAXWEB-328
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-903

Re: Pax Web Extender

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Chris,

sorry it took me so long :)

Karaf 2.3 will contain at least Pax Web 1.1.3 and Karaf 3.0 will
contain Pax Web 2.0
the 2.2.x line will stay with 1.0.x of Pax Web.

regards, Achim

2012/4/6 Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>:
> We are running a system based on ServiceMix 4.4.1 and have run into an issue
> deploying Apache Solr 3.5.0. When we deploy we get the following error:
>
> 15:41:41,973 | ERROR | l Console Thread | WebXmlObserver                   |
> 96 - org.ops4j.pax.web.pax-web-extender-war - 1.0.7 | Could not parse
> web.xml
> org.ops4j.lang.NullArgumentException: Servlet class is null.
>
> After some research it is because in their web.xml they have this servlet
> definition:
>
>   <servlet>
>     <servlet-name>ping</servlet-name>
>     <jsp-file>/admin/ping.jsp</jsp-file>
>   </servlet>
>
> The error was due to it missing a servlet-class field (PAX assumed every
> servlet should have a servlet-class). This is a known issue with PAX and is
> documented with a bug [1] and is fixed in version 1.1.2. Are there any plans
> to upgrade Karaf to support a newer version of Pax-web prior to 3.0?
>
> I did see the issue that this is resolved for 3.0 [2]
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>

> [1] http://team.ops4j.org/browse/PAXWEB-328
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-903