Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ashish Kulkarni <ku...@yahoo.com> on 2005/04/06 16:56:03 UTC

[OT] edit HTML code on fly using java

Hi
does any one know a class or utility in java which
will allow to update or modify HTML code on the fly,
Here is what i am trying to do, i have a filter which
which intercepts the response before being send out to
browser, depending on some condition i want to modify
this response which is HTML code, and add some tags
and modify some text and then send this modified
response to the browser,
Is there some utility which will help in doing this, i
dont want to work with strings manipulation but some
kind of class which will allow me to work with the
HTML as XML file

regards
Ashish

A$HI$H

Re: [OT] edit HTML code on fly using java

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
If your HTML is valid XHTML, you should be able to apply XSLT
transformations on it without too much trouble.  But, this would be an
expensive operation per request, probably a VERY expensive one at that, so
if it is something that is going to happen frequently I wouldn't go this
route.  In fact, if it is anything other than trivial changes and it will
be frequent (on every single request?), my first instinct would actually
be to use string manipulations because I think you would be hard-pressed
to find something else that performs well enough (assuming your code was
relatively tight of course).  I'm sure something is out there, but if
we're talking something that happens every request, I'd certainly want
maximum control over it.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect