Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by James Dailey <ja...@gmail.com> on 2022/10/15 20:26:32 UTC

SPRING BATCH, COB and major upgrade

Devs -

I want to highlight for the community that Spring Batch, replacing the
Quartz jobs, is coming in release 1.9, although a date for that release has
not been fixed.  This was mentioned in the Aug release and in the report to
the Board.

As noted on ticket 1678, opened Aug 3:
"Spring Batch provides a handy framework for executing batch jobs, provides
the capabilities of fault-tolerance, chunking and remote partitioning.
Also, to ensure high availability for remote partitioning, Spring Batch
nicely integrates with the Spring Integration module which seamlessly
handles the messaging channel between manager and worker nodes.

In addition to the integration of Spring Batch, the existing batch job
structure should be revised because in the current implementation of
Fineract, only individual jobs exist. While that’s enough to some degree,
there shall be a notion of a COB (close of business) job that does
everything for a single account at the end of a business day."

Please do follow recent Jira tickets and PRs related to this area of work.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/FINERACT/issues/FINERACT-1678?filter=allopenissues

As always, you are welcome as committers and contributors to review the PRs
and provide comments in the various places - on the jira ticket, on the git
review, and in the listserv.

Aside?
I guess at a high level, if you have existing "Quartz jobs" defined in some
format, now may be a good time to familiarize yourself with
spring-batch and to start to "port over" those jobs... especially if
they've been done outside of the project on your private fork.  I am fairly
confident that our current code base is not expressive of the full use of
jobs out there.

- jdailey

Re: SPRING BATCH, COB and major upgrade

Posted by Mohamed SRHAYRI <sr...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
Happy to know about this.
Fineract batchs will now benefit from thé same "level of technology" other
areas are already enjoying.
Thanks for the update.
Mohamed SRHAYRI.